Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home building questions

Posted by balor123 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 21:46

Building a new spec home in Austin and have some questions:

1. I have two young children at home. Am I crazy to ask for GFCI outlets everywhere? What are the tradeoffs?

2. Builder uses Trane ACs. It's been suggested to aim for a single compressor. Should I go for the XR15 or XL15i? Haven't seen where they'll go yet but I've asked to put them near the garage. How loud are these things?

3. The home is 3500sf and has 4 bathrooms. The builder uses State or AO water heaters. I think it's too big for tankless to make sense. Should I aim for a hybrid unit and if not which line?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home building questions

1) GFCI is required where there is proximity to a grounding device, typically water pipes. So putting them elsewhere is not necessary.

Speaking of electrical safety, AFCI is required on certain receptacles.

And it would be advisable to have whole house surge protection.

o

Depending upon local code, tamper-resistant outlets could be required throughout. NEC 2008 requires all outlets be tamper resistant, which consists of little doors inside the outlet, which have to both be pushed in at the same time to open. If a child tries to push a single item into a slot, it won't go. GFCI outlets are far more expensive. BTW- Even GFCI outlets have to be tamper resistant per NEC 2008.

o

I'm curious to hear any responses to the OPs third question:

3. The home is 3500sf and has 4 bathrooms. The builder uses State or AO water heaters. I think it's too big for tankless to make sense. Should I aim for a hybrid unit and if not which line?

o

Regarding Question 1, GFCI outlets everywhere. I think this is unnecessary as you can just buy much more affordable tamper proof plugs.

o

Our 5,500 sq ft has tankless heaters and work just fine. I have two Rheem (I would suggest another brand) rated at 5.5 gpm each. We can have 2 showers and a faucet on and still get hot water. Any more is more of a water pressure issue with our well and tank.

Remember that tankless is not instant, you need a recirculating system for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here