Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

Favorite/best pneumatic framing nailer?

blueberrier1
16 years ago

Joints are aging, arthritis present and partitions needed before the late summer company is here.

What pneumatic nailer do you use or recommend? I read that the Dewalt51822 had sufficient recoil to cause wrist sprain . Hitachi (not sure of model) was suggested as primo. Unable to find ratings for guide.

Thanks,

cella jane

Comments (13)

• trimcarpenter
    16 years ago

We use a variety of nailers on our crew but the Hitachi seems to have the best overall feature set. There may be better ones available now but that's the one we've relied on daily for a few years. You might check Fine Home Building (online) as they have done some great tool comparisons and I'm sure they featured framing nailers at least once.

• formula1
    16 years ago

As a died-in-the-wool DIYer, I knew that I really didn't need a brand new air nailer, a good used one would probably last me forever. Ended up buying a Bostitch N80SB clipped head stick nailer on eBay for about 1/2 price. Great tool, many others have copied this basic design. The newer N88 uses full head nails and is slightly lighter. Yes, a couple years ago FH did an air nailer review, there are several good models out there. Maybe check your library for a nack issue.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

One thing i look for in a nailer is a decent nose that allows for easy toe nailing.Not all nailers grip at the nose causing it to slip when toe naing or nailing in at an angle.Tools of the trade does tool comparisons and if you check their website, might have archives,(back issues) reports on nailers.

Here is a link that might be useful: tool comparisons

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    We recently got a new hitachi that uses clips of nails held together by paper tape. It's a very light-weight gun, and that is the most important consideration if your hands are bothering you. We have three older guns, but they are all much heavier, including an old hitachi that used nails collated with plastic -- it would too often spit chucks of plastic clip debris in one's face. Not fun.
    Casey

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the input.

Casey, what is the model number of the paper tape Hitachi you have and like? Where did you buy it? Had not thought of where the plastic connectors might fly. Sounds like safety glasses are not enough, and one should wear a face shield.
    cella jane

• dumaspup
    16 years ago

I will have to go with the Senco sn70 it weights more than most all the rest of the guns put together. I have run them all and find that the extra weight of the Senco takes the recoil better than the rest that seem to send the recoil right into your hands and elbows.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

I agree with dumas, the heavier the gun,the less recoil and is easier on you on extended use projects.Little more effort on overhead and sheathing work, but less fatigue in the long run when bucking up walls.

• buzzsaw
    16 years ago

I own 7 various pneumatic nailers. I use PC's FRH framing pneumatic and briefly Paslode's gas cartridge operated. The PC is somewhat heavy, but has delivered well over the 10's (100's??) of thousands of nails. Works well for toe-nailing. It does use plastic collated nails so you have to deal with the flying plastic and it's cleanup. Different nail brands though give different levels of flying debris. Plastic is better than wire collated though...

The paslode was nice - especially the 'cordless' feature, but I never really cared for it's feel (or its smell!).

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

buzzsaw,
    what is "PC?" Not familiar with the brand. Since this tool will not be in use 8 hours a day, I feel I could use a medium weight nailer. Nailer would be used for barns projects over the next few years. Have to put in a downstairs partition next week.

Would like to be able to try various nailers and then buy the one with the best fit/tolerable kickback and optimal performance. Will be nailing pine and composite lumber. There are no tool rental places convenient to us.

Need to make a decision soon.
    Thanks for all the input.
    cella jane

• buzzsaw
    16 years ago

PC = Porter Cable

Keep in mind that lightweight is a premium feature and you will pay extra for it. Many gun models now have magnesium heads to make them lighter. Some manufacturers refer to them as their "Mag" line.

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I have had and used many of the older models and recoil is not that big a deal but it is true, the heavier they are, the less recoil b/c the unit absorbs the inertia generally except when nailing upward and then it makes it worse. Most of all of my units are Senco but they are OLD (but still work great).

Anyway, if joints are aging and arthritis is a problem, I would be more concerned with the whole process of framing partitions and less with the ease of using a framing nailer.

If you do not have a lot of partitions to build, maybe consider a cordless drill and screws. 3 inch screws can be used in a toe nail fashion to attach studs to plates and result in an incredibly strong fastner. Then you can use the same unit to hang sheetrock etc.

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions and info.

Purchased the Hitachi NR90AD and though not much used yet, is very easy to handle and does a fine job. Not using this 8 hours a day, so weight is not an issue. Will give it a longer session when the partitions get assembled.
    cella jane

• skipper1960
    10 years ago

I'm looking for a cheap framing nailer either the numax or blue hawk nailer.
    Any of you have a preference?