Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfromct

Will 2 light fixtures w 2 40-watt bulbs ea produce enough light?

mcfromct
10 years ago

Posting this here because the Building a Home forum typically gets more traffic. Hope thats ok.
I really love the Robert Abbey Drexel 16" wall sconce. It has 2 40-watt bulbs in each sconce. If I use 2 of these fixtures (hanging vertically on either side of the mirror) in a 5 1/2 x 7' powder room, do you think it would give off enough light? The room does not have a window.
They also sell a larger version at 24" long ea with 4 40-watt bulbs each but they are expensive ($193 ea for small version, $355 ea for large version) so I would rather purchase the smaller ones if possible. Not even sure the larger ones would produce enough light?
There is a fan in the bath but it doesn't have a light. Could I change that to a fan with a light or does it have to be rewired somehow for a fan light combo?

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It would not be enough light for me. We have a fixture over the mirror on a dimmer and a small chandelier....both go on bright for cleaning. We dim the mirror light when company is here in the evening so it acts like a night light and they can find their way.

I'm sure the vent is required by code. You may need to talk to an electrician about your options for running more lights in the room...maybe some pot lights in the ceiling or a ceiling fixture, or maybe replace the fan with one that includes a light.

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I am afraid of. I wonder if the electricity has to be wired differently for the fan to have a light?
    We have chosen all of the lighting for the house and this is the last one I'm a little hung up on. I really love it so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work...

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Wiring for an exhaust fan is just fine for a fan with a light fixture. The challenge is to get a light-fan fixture that will have sufficient desired lumens and exhaust CFM. Hopefully the ceiling material has not been installed.

A ceiling light fixture will add to the overall ambient light level, but will not help very much for lighting at the mirror. You need "task" lighting there, which will be fixtures that will illuminate the counter and the person in front of the mirror.

Why don't you try some "mock-ups" using mechanics shop lights to see the overall lighting levels that work for you?

Good luck on your project.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

I think it is fine for a powder room, assuming it is a small one. I certainly think that provides enough light at the mirror to illuminate the sink. My question is does it give enough light to the toilet area . . .

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Think I will buy the larger ones just to be sure. I don't think I want to take a chance. Here's a pic. Each sconce takes 4 60-watt bulbs.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

4 X 60 X 2 = 480 watts. Yes, that should do nicely. May want to use a dimmer.

You should be able to heat the room with these as well!

Good luck on your project!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I would have said it would have been enough, personally... If you don't like the 40 watters, and it is a normal medium base light fixture, you could always a different, higher lumen, lower watt bulb to put in. You don't have to use energy consuming incandescents... Would that be a possibility?

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Our powder room has 2 sconces, each with one bulb. I think they're 40W, but they could be 60. Either way, the room has plenty of light, even with a dark tile floor and dark vanity. The lights are on a dimmer, and usually at full brightness only for cleaning.

• Karen15
    10 years ago

Where are those sconces from? I love them! I bought 3 sconces that have two 40watt halogen G9 bulbs a piece ..we have two mirrors though. I'm hoping they are bright enough.

• Karen15
    10 years ago

Where are those sconces from? I love them! I bought 3 sconces that have two 40watt halogen G9 bulbs a piece ..we have two mirrors though. I'm hoping they are bright enough.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I would have said the 2x40w fixtures would have been adequate in this case because the fixture design is a bit more efficient than most. Also a powder room is not someplace where people are going to need a lot of detail (unlike a primary vanity area)

The vent would probably need to be rewired unless you want the fan and light to be on at the same time. I do not think it would be helpful.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Nice sconces!

We have 4x40w bulbs, 2 each in two sconces, in our small master ensuite. It's adequate but barely, partly because I find the glass a little too thick and it dims the bulbs quite a bit. I'm waiting for them to die so I can put in slightly brighter LEDs. I would think it WOULD be adequate for a powder room -- guests don't need to see every pore and cat hair on the floor. In my 5x5 powder I have 2 60s in an overhead fixture and it's pretty darn bright. Especially since I replaced the charcoal grey fixtures with white ones.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 11:03