Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madisonfm_gw

Second level living floor plan vs. Main level floor plan? Anyone

madisonfm
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're just about to purchase our first home and it will be built based upon pre-determined floor plans from the builder. We can make small modifications to the plan but nothing too major.

Our biggest problem right now is that we like two plans. One has the living/dining/kitchen/master/bedroom 2 on the upper level with a rec room/bedroom 3 on the main (ground) level. The other has the standard living/dining/kitchen/office on the main level and 4 bedrooms up (we would be filling in the open space to be a 4th bedroom/rec room).

Is upstairs living a complete pain? Its just my fiancé and I at the moment. There isn't a particular view, but it does look down off a small cliff into a nice forest which is beneficial! Would this reduce resale badly?

Anyone have any experience living on the second level?

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

i would not recommend it for resale

lived in a rent house with main living upstairs and it was weird. it felt awkward. it was probably the reason the house didn't sell and instead had to be rented out

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I'd suggest no too. I visited a friends house once where the main level was "up". It was awkward to come in the garage entrance and have to go up everytime. You entered the house (as a guest who carpooled there) through the non-public part of the home...

Additionally, 4 bedrooms are better than 3 for resale (though, a minor benefit in comparison to having main level living on the main level...)

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

In the city here, plans similar to this are common, but they are generally three stories. A garage, nicely appointed foyer off of which is usually a guest room and bath, a second floor for living areas, and a third floor for bedrooms. It's a lack-of-space thing, so people in the city build up. Unless you have a valid reason for doing so, I'd stick to the living areas on the ground floor, especially if you have a large enough lot that you will be using your outdoor area for living, entertaining, grilling, etc.

• mejjie
    10 years ago

Lots of people live in townhouses and beach houses with upstairs living. I lived in one and it was absolutely fine when it was just the two of us. I think that arrangement would not appeal to a family with children-imagine trying to get the groceries unloaded with a baby and toddler! Nor would it appeal to an older couple. The downstairs bedroom would be nice privacy for an older teen, though.
    Just a couple of thoughts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I've only seen that arrangement built into the side of a hill so entry is at the main level, or in areas that are in flood zones so the lower floor is a garage or empty space that will minimize loss if flooded and living space is protected above.

• madisonfm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone!

I'm strongly leaning towards doing the main level living so I'm hoping this works out in our favor!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I should say, I've also seen upside down houses in earth-sheltered design.

And I should modify it also to say that most raised ranches are that way too with the living level up half a flight and the garage/family room down half a flight.

I think the important thing to consider is how welcoming the front entry is. Friend of mine is on the 2nd floor of a condo so her front entry is literally a staircase going straight up...very difficult to meet and greet at the door and a haul up a full flight of stairs is not that welcoming.

• Lisa Bousbouras
    2 years ago

We are building a house right now, originally planned, was a typical 2 story home, however we wanted a garage underneath... we have a narrow lot, so we literally ended up getting a ground level garage, huge entry/ foyer and bonus rooms.

i don’t mind hauling up a flight of steps... I’d rather go up steps in doors than outdoors!!

• C H
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Considering a 2nd floor living design because the view from the 2nd floor is just incredible both front and back. Very tough to bring myself to build a "normal" house when I know that I'd be missing out on fantastic daily vistas and better sun exposure. The entranceway is huge and there is no intrusion into private bedroom spaces on the main, so seems like win-win.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

My current house is "reversed" as well. It's 3-stories/five levels to maximize the ocean views. First level is the foyer/garage, half-flight up is the master facing the ocean, half up from that are two guest rooms facing the street, half up is a story-and-half great room facing the ocean (over the master bedroom footprint). Half-flight up from that is the kitchen, dining room and library, all with ocean and street views. Every morning, looking at the sunrise and dolphins in the waves I know it's worth it to carry groceries all the way up!

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Whatever you choose i think you will appreciate a washer and dryer on each level….maybe a stacked set in a bathroom or in a closet on the bedroom level

• lhmarmot
    2 years ago

Our home is "upside down" and intentionally done to capture the amazing views. We wouldn't have done it any other way, and in hindsight, wish we had added rooftop access too. We included an elevator to move firewood upstairs to the living room. It helps when there is a big shopping load to bring up, or even an injured human. Though, usually... it's where we store the recycling.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company