Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph44_gw

New Floor Plans.. any feedback is appreciated!!

Joseph44
9 years ago

I'm looking for any comments/feedback/suggestions you have for these floor plans. I know these are hand-drawn and not the best, but I'm in the process of having an architect draw the plans to scale. Until I get those, hopefully these are good enough to get some feedback! Thanks for the help!

Some additional notes:

- Overall dimensions are 40' by 90'
- Corner lot with a side load garage
- dotted lines indicate separation of spaces, not walls
- dotted line at end of garage indicates a bump out only on the first level and a balcony above
- the 4 additional bedrooms each have a walk-in closet and share a jack-and-jill bath
- garage is designed to accommodate 5 cars (4 straight across, 2 in tandem on one end)
- house is for 6 (my wife and 4 children), potentially 8 in the future (in-laws)

(2nd Level of the plan is posted below)

This post was edited by Joseph44 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 21:18

Comments (11)

• Joseph44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the second floor of the plan.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again!

This post was edited by Joseph44 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 21:19

• User
    9 years ago

Joseph,
    If I would potentially have older people living with me in the future, seriously, I would have a bedroom with bath attached on the first floor of the home too.
    I don't know how you would have to redesign that, but older people don't want stairs at all, and having their own bathroom close to their bedroom would be ideal.
    Just a thought.

• Joseph44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. If my in-laws move into the house in the future, they would have a separate space in the basement.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I don't know how wide your upstairs hallway is, but it would need to be at least 7' wide to have both the doorway to bedroom 3 and 4 at the end of the hall.

At 38' your garage is wide enough for 3 cars. But you only have 2 equal size doors.

The foyer is really big. Yet really has nothing to define it as a foyer since there are no walls. It seems like you will walk into the house and be in this huge living room/dining room/kitchen/great room/foyer/hall combined area. Adding some walls will help define the spaces, give some privacy, help with acoustics, and will add structural support.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Hauling in groceries all the way through the house to the kitchen will be a major PITA.

• Joseph44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback!

pixie_lou - I was planning on having the hallway 6 feet wide but I can make it wider or put the doors on an angle to have them fit within the 6 feet. Also, the exterior dimension of my garage would 40 feet so I was hoping to have the room for a 4 car garage, using either two 18 or 16 foot doors. I like open concept but you make a really good point about the foyer general layout, I do need to add some walls for the reasons you mentioned.

Michelle1973- You make a good point, I thought about reversing the kitchen and living/dining area to have the kitchen closer to the garage. I ended up keeping the kitchen where it is because I like the idea of having French doors off the kitchen that open onto a deck. I should have mentioned this earlier but because this is a corner lot, I won't have a traditional backyard. I'll have enough room on the kitchen side of the house for a backyard area with a deck.

• User
    9 years ago

The relationships between the Living Room/Dining, Kitchen and Great Room seem accidental and awkward. You should try getting those relationship to work well and then add the secondary spaces.

Showing furniture and doors would help.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Unless you drive sub compacts, you aren't going to fit 4 cars in a 40' garage. First you have wall space. Then you will need a support somewhere in the middle. Your putting 4 bedrooms and 2 baths over this so you need support.

Pretty much the minimum width they recommend for a 3 bay garage is 32'. And that gives you no room for additional storage - snow blower, lawn mower, bicycles.

You say your overall footprint is 40x90. Add your second story and a basement, you are building over 10,000 sf of home. This is a LARGE home. Don't skimp on the garage.

• guitarman502
    9 years ago

Truth on garage. I know a Ford F150 measures 9 ft. From mirror end to mirror end. (You can figure on any full size suv tahoes, etc to be about same). Factor in at least 2 ft of door swing on each side and you're looking at factoring 14 ft. Of width per car.

One of the main reasons I am building vs purchasing an already existing house was the garage. None of the houses we looked at in our area (even going $50k more than our budget would allow) would fit a full size pickup or SUV park in the garage so we didn't offer.

I also recommend going 8 ft. Tall on your garage doors if any SUV or Truck is involved (think future). Cost is minimal compared to a lifetime of dispise not being able to fit a current or future vehicle in the garage.

Reference, my garage is a 2 car 28x30 with 8x10 garage doors.

• User
    9 years ago

Quit with the unrealistic sketches and hire a pro. What you want isn't going to fit on the typical suburwban lot, even a corner one. If you find an ''estate'' lot that IS big enough, there will likely be a whole host of reatrictions that won't allow you that much garage. To get what you want involves more acreage, less design regulation, and would best be done with the garage as an outbuilding connected with a breezeway.

• Joseph44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate your time!