Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koshka2_gw

Rounded sheetrock corners

koshka2
13 years ago

Looking at model homes, most of them have rounded sheetrock corners. As we get ready to build this is an option but will probably add $1500 to $2000 to cost. I'm uncertain whether to go for it or not. I can honestly say that I've never seen rounded corners anywhere except a model home.

DH likes the look, I'm more neutral.

Anyone have any opinions/information?

Comments (36)

• daytona1
    13 years ago

They are very nice. We paid extra to have them in this house when we built. I would do it again. At my other house, I spent a lot of time touching up the paint in the corners.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

We have them. It is what most of the homes around here have. I'm not a fan. If you have rounded corners, you almost have to use the same paint color in every room or it looks odd where the two different color lines meet. I toured a model home today that had a color switch. The room was painted by professionals and it still didn't look right.

• srercrcr
    13 years ago

We've had them for fifteen years now, I love em. One corner is at a 45 degree and they couldn't do that one because they put a plastic piece under the mud and apparently nobody made one for a 45. Hopefully thats not the case nowadays.

• david_cary
    13 years ago

Such a regional thing. We never have them around here - model home or otherwise. I have seen it one time on a custom build. I think it is a personal decision. I've always had corners and don't remember paint touch up ever being an issue.

• creek_side
    13 years ago

We have two 45 degree short walls transitioning the entry to the great room. One of them has double doors into the office.

As I sit here looking at that wall and imagining those 45 degree corners as being rounded, it strikes me that the office door trim would end up being even closer to the "edge" than it is now, perhaps too close. We have six inch wide trim.

Plans are often drawn with a certain anticipated standard trim width in mind. If you changed to rounded corners, you would have make sure that you still had enough flat surface for the trim.

Food for thought.

BTW, the comment on the paint color transitions makes a lot of sense. I know a change of paint color in mid curve would look odd to me.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

They are called 'bull-nose' corners.

They use a larger plastic base than the typical tight metal corner bead.

They can introduce problems with baseboards.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Our last two custom homes had them (built in 1991 and 1994). I certainly did like them, as opposed to square corners which can chip, but they do pose problems with paint color changes and wallpaper (if you're into wallpaper).

• koshka2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the paint thing would be OK. I think you could still change colors in bedrooms and baths which is where I'm mostly like to change color.

I do think that it is a good idea to look at the baseboard and the trim around doors/entry to make sure there is room.

• redshoetraveler
    13 years ago

We have them...they were standard on our current home built 10 years ago. LOVE them...especially with kids. I thought the paint thing was an issue when we first moved in, but now I guess I'm used to it. Some people change the paint mid-curve & others change it at the end of the curve (does that make sense?). I don't have any changes at rounded corners...all my changes are at an inner corner or in completely different spaces. I would do it again in a hearbeat, but don't know if it would be worth $2000 to me.

• srercrcr
    13 years ago

I have one 90 corner that we couldn't round off because it won't blend into a crown molding corner.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I don't know how they could be regional when they are common here (south) and also in our summer home we sold a few years ago (CO). Here they are not common in model homes, only higher end homes.

We have them and love them. You'll need a good trim carpenter or you'll end up with a mess. They look great when used in arched openings. Really softens the room.

As stated above, you can't just go switching wall colors at a corner - well, you can and people do, but I wouldn't want to do that in our home.

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

I've had them in my last couple homes too. It's very common in the Southwest.

There are different radius bullnose corners to be aware of. My previous house had a smaller bullnose, maybe .5", and my current house has about 1" bullnose. The larger bullnose looks much nicer IMHO. You would probably want to coordinate the size of the radius with your ceiling height too, i.e. higher ceilings go with a larger bullnose.

• david_cary
    13 years ago

Allison - they are common in Florida, Texas and Arizona as best I can tell. Here in NC - I've been to multiple Parade of Homes over a decade and have seen 1 house - happened to be a foreclosure home that I was looking at - the story was all pretty suspect but it was definitely a custom build (maybe for the builder - maybe not). I've seen several in Texas - in fact it was seen on $200k tract homes.

I think around here we tend to be heavy on the trim and more hard corners and sharp angles than the Texas/Arizon and even Florida. The South means different things to different people - and to me it is based on slavery and the civil war - so by that definition - NC is in the South and Texas is not. Neither is Florida or Arizona. Obviously all are far more south than NC and have heavier spanish influences - which I think goes with rounded corners on drywall.

• drjoann
    13 years ago

Well, the Upstate is further south than Cary, but not by that much. Our builder took us to see a house that he had done in
    The Cliffs before we signed with him. That house had rounded corners and he offered us the option at no additional charge.

I know plenty of people with discerning taste love them, so I'm not knocking the look. It just wasn't for us. Oddly enough, I think that may be because we are moving from TX to the Upstate. The rounded corners gave us a Mediterranean/SW feel which doesn't go with the house we are building. If I lived in SA and had scercrcr's gorgeous limestone fireplace, etc., I would likely have made a different decision.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

I think it's regional too. When we lived in AZ, almost every house had rounded corners, including ours. Now, we live in WI, and hardly any homes have rounded corners. Since I grew up in the midwest, the rounded corners seemed odd to me. I didn't like them in our house in AZ bc it cause a lot of issues with finding trim. I didn't mind the paint issue as much, although the transition is a lot less natural. It went with the SW style of our home though, and I think homes in the midwest just don't lend themselves stylistically to rounded corners. JMO. I'm thrilled to not have them though. It just wasn't us.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I went and looked at some Parade homes yesterday. The bullnose corners are standard here. I noticed that a change of paint colors and textures were fine if the colors were a lighter color and similar to one another. The dark colorings were just too stark.

• koshka2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So how do they handle baseboards with the bullnose corners?

• twolabs
    13 years ago

We have them and love them. Something that sets it apart from older homes around here.

The handle the baseboards by using a small (half inch maybe?) piece of trim at a 45 degree angle on the edge. Same with the crown molding. Our trim guys were great and it looks good.

• classicalone
    13 years ago

Admittedly I haven't been to any real new houses around here lately, but I've never seen rounded corners in a house her in northern VA (DC suburb). Some new houses in the Tidewater area have them. It's a personal thing, but I think wood trim, baseboards, or crown molding, looks very, very odd. Having an odd 45 degree angle on the baseboard and a rounded corner on the wall just doesn't look right at all to me.

• marthaelena
    13 years ago

"So how do they handle baseboards with the bullnose corners?"
    The easiest way is by using an accesory called base adapter.

I do not thing that bullnose corners are a regional thing.
    They are very popular here in IL, too.

• dixiedoodle
    13 years ago

Definitely regional. Never saw them in the SW Penn area growing up, never saw them in old homes in the Piedmont area of Carolina, and definitely never saw them in traditional homes in VA. Some of the newer builds are incorporating them, but mostly in homes with a contemporary or Southwestern bent. I really do not care for them at all, and would definitely not pay MORE to get them, but to each his own. In the homes in this area that have the rounded corners, they do not finish them like the photo above. They actually square off the bottom of the wall (to whatever height the baseboards will be) so that the trim fits tight to the wall at a 90 degree angle, with the rounded corners above. I don't know how they would handle crown, as none of the homes that I have seen with the rounded corners had traditional crown.

• david_cary
    13 years ago

Why is it that rounded corners seem to come with that crazy textured paint. Didn't popcorn ceilings scare people away from any texture? Doesn't everybody have nightmares that keep them up at night about rubbing their skin against them? The newer textured stuff doesn't look like it will draw blood like the old popcorn ceiling did but it doesn't look comfortable either.

I personally like the smooth drywall and squeared corners but I can appreciate the rounded corners and textured paint. But it does seem like patching or touching up paint would be difficult.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I chose the knock down texture in the picture for practicality. My kids would have marred any special wall finishes or smooth walls in less than a month. I know how to fix a knockdown finish and touch up with paint. I wasn't sure I could retouch a fancier finish and make it look like new. I don't want my house to look bad so I took a simple route. Re-texturing and nicer finishes can always be added down the line when the kids get older.

• srercrcr
    13 years ago

Great pic. Of course I'm biased, looks exactly like mine. incl the texture.

• ravi_p
    13 years ago

I love the rounded corners and look. Adds a little elegance to my eyes imo. Wouldn't have done it any other way. Extremely common here in Dallas/Fort Worth even in $150,000-$200,000 tract homes and in Tampa, FL at our previous house and homes around there.

• brookelizabeth
    13 years ago

We have them, live in Wisconsin. Move in next Wednesday. I didn't think about paint, that's my only concern.

• glenster_jr
    13 years ago

I have them in my current house. They look "okay", but there are some "issues". 1. Wild grandsons on tricycles have hit them just right leaving permanent "dents" on a couple of outside corners. 2. Due to apparent sloppy installation, some cracks have appeared between the edge of the corner bead and the drywall where the bead was not properly nailed down and is lifting. These are in different locations from the trike impacts. 3. They require a good trim carpenter to make the baseboards look right.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

Builds in the last ten years in the NW have them... at least from my experience. High end builders offer bull-nose as a standard, medium end builders offer bull-nose as an upgrade.

I'm 28. Houses growing up didn't have them, but... those homes were built pre-80s! :) The trends have definitely changed in this region.

I talked to a low-end builder this year and they claimed bull-nose was going out of style here. I'm pretty sure that was there justification for not offering them and not the truth, though.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

ps. The moulding around bull-nose doesn't look weird to me. It looks normal.

• glenster_jr
    13 years ago

"ps. The moulding around bull-nose doesn't look weird to me. It looks normal."

It's not weird, but the baseboard would not likely have a double miter corner for a standard (non-BN) drywall corner.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

glenster... yes, I understand. I just meant that bull-nose is so commonplace here, I doubt any local would think the double-mitered corners are weird. They don't stand out to me as being odd. :)

Coincidentally, they just installed the bull-nose corners on my new build. I can upload a photo later if anyone wants to see for some reasno.

• kbncan
    13 years ago

Just to add some info and to get opinions... I have seen in a few homes the rounded "bullnose" corners but then they 90 degree corner at the bottom 1" above the trim. It looks really sharp. I'm not sure how they do it though. Any one else seen this? How is it done?

• kbncan
    13 years ago

Just to add some info and to get opinions... I have seen in a few homes the rounded "bullnose" corners but then they 90 degree corner at the bottom 1" above the trim. It looks really sharp. I'm not sure how they do it though. Any one else seen this? How is it done?

• lolauren
    13 years ago

like this, except imagine the photo sideways :) :

{{gwi:1461849}}

• kbncan
    13 years ago

Yes and then the trim fits nicely cornered. I really like it. Its the best of both worlds!