Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasperdog_gw

Sun tunnel

jasperdog
10 years ago

We were planning to have a sun tunnel in our main floor bathroom which would come down through the furnace room of the second floor. Due to poor project management, framing issues, and HVAC and plumbing being installed prior to the sun tunnel, the installation will now only allow for the sun tunnel to be offset and in a corner of the bathroom. I'm trying to decided whether that will look to distracting and whether we should forgo having it installed. Originally it was supposed to be cenetered on the bathtub. Now it will be over on the side (dotted circle). Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

I would still put it in. The nice thing about the Solatubes is they will throw a lot of light into the room. Obviously centered would still be better, but even at the location you have it, you will never need to turn on a light during the day. We have ours installed in a bathroom that looks to be about the same size as yours. I always walk by and think that someone left the light on. Here is our bathroom.

• jasperdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply Izerac. We have a skylight in the bathroom where we currently live and I think I would miss having the light.

Any one have any recent experience with a brand they prefer or one they would steer clear of? From what I've read, the flexible tunnels don't provide quite as much light but this might allow us to locate the diffuser in a more asthetically acceptable spot on the ceiling.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

Solatube makes a few offset fittings. You can add the 90 degree adaptors and probably get it to the middle of the room. As far as I am concerned, Solatube is at the top for light tubes. I spec and see a lot of products, they have a bunch of features that sets them apart.

• jasperdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately the TJIs run the wrong direction and the fur down is only 8". Too much plumbing and HVAC in the way to have much flexibility.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We have our sun tunnel running through a closet in the upstairs level to a main level bathroom. It is off centre in the room in order to get it to run through the closet. Despite the long run, and the fact that the dome is on the north part of the roof it still provides lots of natural light. It is a long, but straight run. Not sure how Sun Tunnels by Velux compare to the Solatube. After we bought our Sun Tunnel, we read lots of good reviews about the Solatube go figure.

Good luck.

Carol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Is there any way you could center it in front of the linen closet doors? I agree it should be installed regardless, but it would look better if it was centered over something, and moving it up would throw even more light toward the sink area.