Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Is 3 feet floorspace b/t counters in laundry enough??

bridget helm
10 years ago

I had the architect add a foot to the laundry room and mudroom because the laundry seemed small to me, but now that I'm working on the laundry layout, I realized that adding this foot in width doesn't do anything but give me more space in between the counters facing each other. It doesn't add more can or counter space. So, since we are trimming the fat of the house--- I know it seems silly, but every little bit adds up-- should I get rid of that one foot across the mud room and laundry room? Or will 3 feet of floors pace in between the counters be way too cramped??

It will cut off 15 feet, but we are also cutting 40 off across the front too.

Comments (10)

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

I think 3' is tight for front loaders. If you have top loading for both it's fine. We have 4'+ and it works well, but 4' would work fine.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

How are you going to set up the room, and what will be the dimensions of the ROOM (not the floor space)?

2 machines side by side take up a minimum of 54" (ask me how I know). Plan for 5' and you should be able to replace them in 5 year with whatever you want...

They also take up 3' of depth by the time you add water lines and vent hoses behind them.

So, if you put them on the left wall like you initially had planned, your room would be too narrow. If you put them where you had the sink (to vent to the driveway easier) you might have to only have one set of true counters. The other set might need to be some sort of movable/flexible "counter"/shelving/hooks, etc... To get the machines in/out/replaced/maintained, etc.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

We have about 3/12 feet between our W/D (top loader for washer, top loader for dryer) and the wall and I think it's a little tight. DH, who is 6'4", hates it, Says it's way too cramped for him.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to put the washer and dryer in front if the window where there's a W and D penciled in. Washer is top load. Dryer is front. Together they need 54". There will be about 18 inches to the left of the dryer and 18 inches to the right of washer for counter and or laundry baskets.

The interior measurements of the room are 8 feet wide by 8.5 feet deep. If I cut the foot off, it will be only 7 feet wide interior, but the washer and dryer area will not really be affected by this cut because they are on the wall with the window.

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

So are you not putting the counter also perpendicular to the window wall (as drawn)?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what I'm doing with the walls perpendicular to the window washer dryer wall. I'm certain I want the sink close to the door with some counter beside it. I don't even know where I should put the door. I'd like to "hide" the laundry room from the rest of the house, so would all the way left or all the way right do this best?

I would like 4 clear bins/drawers for each child's clothes. This way I can put their clean clothes in the bins and they can then save them in their rooms. I also want a dirty clothes basket and a clean clothes basket and if there's room, a basket for things that need to go to the cleaners.

I don't know what I'm going to do about my ironing board. It's 5 feet. I rarely use it because I send most things to the cleaners that need ironing. What do people do with their ironing boards these days? Build them into the wall and drop them down when needed? Right now it stays open in the laundry room and I use it for sorting and iron on it maybe once a month.

But these are details I don't want to bother y'all with. I feel like I'm taking over the forum with all my questions. LOL. I mainly need to figure out whether or not I should lose the foot in width.

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

Is that a 3' door? I ask because I would off set the door so you can put the laundry units on the longer run of wall space and opposite on our "paper plan" (not yet built) we will be doing a long rod for hanging; coats dry cleaning, wet towels,...we will be doing portable furniture units, ikea, not built in for cubbies to store things like cleaning towels, scrubbers, starch products,... It sounds like you use your ironing board as much as I do;). I am also doing a rolling laundry hanger sorter that rolls under the rod. I use this to hang and easily deliver massive amounts at once. It's a steel rolling rack with shelves. So it's easily rolled out of the way for cleaning:). For sight lines from the kitchen/dining nook area and noise reduction I'd left justify my units. I'd also close the door;). I might even do a pocket door between mud and dining nook if you have mess here. I second the sink closer to the entrance as it will serve nicely for hand wash station if you have kids or garden. I'm doing a rod above mine for drip drying clothing into the sink. Hope some of this helps. I'll had extensive thoughts on it as our laundry will be 8'ishx 9' too.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes house of sticks! Thanks for your ideas. Hanging above the sink is a great idea. I forgot to mention that ill have a "hanging station" up high. Right now I have a 2 foot wide wire thing that hangs above my ironing board. I got it at Target and I love it. I will do this again because it keeps the clothes hung high and out of the way. I will definitely be checking out ikea for storage ideas in addition to this nifty hanging shelf thing I have.

• User
    10 years ago

If you center the laundry on the window wall, it makes the side walls essentially useless for any type of cabinetry. If you offset the laundry (Washer always on the left.) on that wall, you could have a blind corner cabinet that turned the corner and cabinets on one wall. I wouldn't put the wall between the mudroom and the laundry room at all. I'd make it a combo. Use the wall that won't have room for cabinets for hanging pegs for jackets.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hollysprings, good point about pushing washer and dryer over. I have to keep the wall because the mudroom actually goes to a the very back corner of my den. I don't want the laundry room exposed to the den since it tends to stay messy in there. 4 kids create a LOT of laundry.

do you think i should keep the 1 square foot or lose it? i'm not sure if it will make a difference either way