Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
false advertising by builder

Posted by ellie123-2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 19:08

recently saw an ad in our local newspaper for a new home development. The floor plans in the newspaper showed these plans with a pool, along with the price. But, when I went o look at the house and talk with the developer, the salesperson told me the pool was an additional $30,000. Is it legal for the builder to do this? By the way, this is in Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: false advertising by builder

A car dealer advertises an astoundingly low price on a car and when you go in to take a look, they show you the one with upgrades (like air conditioning and a radio). It's standard business practice. What makes you think builders don't do the same thing? Of course they picture the upgraded model. And you can have that model. But prices start at the low price for the basic builder grade model. If you want that air conditioning and a radio, it will be extra. Like any other "upgrade" in any business.

o

I realize that upgrades are always extra, but this is the first time I have EVER seen floor plans showing a pool and not be included in the cost. It would be like showing a room being 20x20 and then saying the actual size is only going to be 10x10

o

"It would be like showing a room being 20x20 and then saying the actual size is only going to be 10x10"

Not even close to misstating a room size (and even that is as likely to be a copy error as anything intentional).

Advertising puffery is NOT a contract.

o

They do that here in Louisiana too. That's why you call and ask questions to make sure what is and what is not included in that price. In very small print sometimes on the flyer, it will say that some of the items in the floor plan are not included in the "sale" price. It's like going to the furniture store where the price is $2300 for a bed but the mattresses, pillows, and bedding are not included in that price. Same practice.

o

"It would be like showing a room being 20x20 and then saying the actual size is only going to be 10x10"

Not really.
It's more like showing foundation plantings and trees.... things not actually part of the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here