Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

which exterior elevation should I choose?

abekker
9 years ago

I am trying to choose my exterior look, but without having much experience I can't quite picture any of them. Keep in mind my exterior will be pretty contemporary without columns and lavish art work. I will also post my inspiration house, sort of...

Comments (20)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

B option

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

C option

• renovator8
    9 years ago

You said your exterior would be contemporary but you show a design that is quite the opposite. Who is your designer? Where did he/she get the idea you wanted such an eclectic neo-romantic house?

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

A for sure for me, but agree none of these look contemporary.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

A is best, but none are contemporary.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I meant to write my interior will be quite simple and contemporary. This is the look I was going after, not quite sure anymore.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I meant to write my interior will be quite simple and contemporary. This is the look I was going after, not quite sure anymore.

{{!gwi}}

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• Lars
    9 years ago

What climate zone are you in? Option A looks like it was designed for heavy snow; Option C looks more relaxed, but the photo you showed looks very bleak - nothing in the front yard but an empty expanse of grass.

How you plan to landscape will affect how you want your exterior to look. Will you plant palm trees, Italian Cypress, or jacarandas in your front yard?

Lars

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in nj. The right side withe the garage is the most forward then goes the center about 2 ft in and then the left side another 3 ft in. Here is the left side view

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in nj. The right side withe the garage is the most forward then goes the center about 2 ft in and then the left side another 3 ft in. Here is the left side view

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There's something about the right side of view C over the garage....every time I look at it, I see a smiling face...

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

The more steeply pitched roof (A) is much more pleasing to my eye. It makes the choice of roof material more important though-- the design looks like it was made for a slate roof. The flatter designs look like the all too common bad suburban imitations of classic designs.

I'd also think about something to break the space between the front door and the very large window over it-- a small porch roof would both do that and shelter your front door, a useful practical consideration.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about the face, but maybe it won't be like that once it's on a larger scale.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know what you mean about the face, but maybe it won't be like that once it's on a larger scale.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Abekker- when you said the inside will be modern, do you mean clean lines and current finishes... or this type of look? Bauhaus or Mies inspired pieces that are part of what constitutes a mid-century modern aesthetic may be what you have in mind.
    The elevations you show present themselves more as French Country... which is a very pleasant interior style. You could keep your clean lines and lighten the interior finishes to bridge the difference, and your house wouldn't have a split personality:)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

An example of a French inspired modern kitchen.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

For this design to be French Inspired it would be necessary to raise the ridge of the hipped roof quite a bit and to eliminate the front facing gables.

• User
    9 years ago

That house should NOT be anyone's ''inspiration''. It's a gargoyle.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.