Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cursivesailor

To Tray or Not to Tray...

cursivesailor
15 years ago

To tray or not to tray... that is the question.

The builder (that we are about to sign with, yay!) just mentioned something I had never thought about. To tray the ceiling in the master bedroom. Our ceilings will be 9 feet tall through out the house, and he mentioned the option to tray the master bedroom's ceiling up to 10 feet in the center. We are trying to keep our home in the Old New Orleans style.

I don't know if I like that look or if I dont like that look. Looking for opinions. Do ya'll like those ceiling? Hate em? Right now, for me the jury is still out.

Comments (30)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I dislike tray ceilings. I would rather have vaulted, cathedral or flat ceilings. imo, an "old new orleans style" home would not have tray ceilings.

• cursivesailor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thats what i was thinking. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Like so many things, they are a personal preference. They do not go with my style of home either. That said, I have been in homes (or seen pictures) where they do look okay. One thing that bothers me is when they are in so many rooms - like in Parade of Homes houses.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I dunno... I'm nearly finished building, enjoy the features I included, wish I'd taken the trouble to include a couple more.

So if the house is otherwise pretty straightforward, I think a tray in the master would be nice. The only thing I know about NOLA homes is that higher was always better for ceilings, so I don't think a tray would be out of the question.

That said, it's certainly possible to overwhelm with 'special touches' so that they cancel each other out, and seem frantic and forced-- sort of like Whitney Houston's singing.

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

I love the tray ceilings! We have one in our entry area and our Master Bedroom.

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

I wanted to add, to me - in my opinion, I think vaulted ceilings are very dated. I rather have just a reg. 9' ceiling instead of a vaulted.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i don't like tray ceilings. i much prefer a beamed or coffered ceiling or even just a plain ceiling. our builder was mentioning tray ceilings for a couple of rooms but it seems too much of a "new trick" for us... or atleast an early 90s! maybe in more contemporary styled houses but ours will be more of a traditional shingle style. we're doing a few coffered ceilings. please share pics soon!

• chisue
    15 years ago

It doesn't sound authentic for your house.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Just wondering if you're having these in your house. In case you don't know what I mean, there is a secondary door on each bedroom. One door is solid. One has louvers so air can circulate. I've seen this in the South -- even in a 'Summer Cottage' up North.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

I was talking to an appraiser and he stated that people expect to get tray/coffered or any ceiling treatment as crown moldings on higher end homes.
    But I agree that is not good to overdo them.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

That's true, Marthaelena, but then it also depends on the style of home. Even though our home is high end, they do not fit our home at all and would detract not enhance. An appraiser in our community told us one house here has not sold since it is over 1.5M and does not have a pool, lake and/or ridge view.

Tinker, I probably should not have said vaulted (as in one slanted) ceilings, but there are a lot of people who say "vaulted" instead of "cathedral" so I wrote both.

• tnhousewife05
    15 years ago

here is a pic of our trayed ceilings we have them in our dining room, living room, master bedroom, office and foyer (as pictured). We love trayed ceilings it adds so much to a home.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Kulagal -- A single tray ceiling looks like an inverted tray. You can also have multiple 'banks' of inversions, stepping up and up.

A coffered ceiling has beams set crosswise one another to form squares or rectangles (open 'boxes'). A 'coffer' is a small box or chest.

Hey, Kulagal -- you on Maui?

• montalvo
    15 years ago

As has been stated, your take on tray ceilings is all about taste and contrary to the aesthetics gestapo, there's really no such thing as "good taste". There's "politically correct taste", "today's fashion taste", "most popular taste", "designer's taste", "consistent-with-the-rest-of-the-house taste", etc. But "good taste" can only be determined after you define which jury you'd like to do the judging. In our house, we decided that DW and I would be the jury.

And as for our take on tray ceilings, we didn't put any in our current house but did in our first house. In the master, we chose a tray ceiling where the slope starts from a soffit about 18" from the walls. I don't care for tray ceilings where the slope starts from the wall. But then, that's MY taste, FWIW.

Bob

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

I thought I would post a couple pictures of ours. Our bedroom and office tray are trimmed out with crown molding and have rope lighting. Our entry tray is a double step tray (which should have been painted a little different)

entry:
    {{gwi:1460338}}

Office:
    {{gwi:1460339}}

closeup
    {{gwi:1460342}}

masterbedroom (ignore the pretty window treatments!)
    {{gwi:1460343}}

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

tinker, your trays are very beatiful!

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

Love your trays. I think it's just like anything else in building a house - a matter of personal taste. I think they add visual interest and richness if the room is big enough to carry them. I think they can be overdone, but then again, so can just about any decorative element. Trends come and go - pick what you love and build your house to please yourself, not to try and impress anyone. I'm doing trays in my dining room and masterbedroom because I like them there. My sunroom will have a cathedral ceiling and my great room and foyer will have two story ceilings because that's what I like.

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

Well, I have a bit of everything! I have flat in lots of rooms, coffered in the library (no photo though), tray in Dining Room, Living Room, Master bedroom, Media Room and Game Room, a dome in my Master bath, a groin vault between entry and kitchen and beamed cathedral in the Family Room. I don't think it's too much, but it's my house! I love variety. Here are some photos:

Living Room

Dining Room

Family Room

Hallway Groin Vault

Master Bedroom

Master Bathroom Dome

Media

Game Room

Wishing this project were finished and I could move in!

• kimkss
    15 years ago

I have also seen tray ceilings that do not have any crown moulding or anything and they also look very nice. If you are looking for a more simple look.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

cursivesailor
    Something to consider is the $$$ factor.
    It is cheaper to frame down the tray than to manufacture the trusses with the recessed area to allow higher ceiling/tray. If they modify the truss is expensive specially if the tray is by a hip roof.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Kulagal, Our kitchen/breakfast area has a coffered ceiling. Scroll down to French Gray Island Kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our kitchen ceiling

• chisue
    15 years ago

I could see putting pressed tin ceilings in the kitchen, curviesailor.

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

I'm not really a fan of tray ceilings- although I do like the opportunity they provide for uplighting- but I have to say that cantmakeadecision's dome ceiling in the master bath is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen on this site! And, I love the family room! :)

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

thanks, dixiedoodle! I love that dome. I'm trying to figure out if I should put a paint finish on it....there is rope lighting there, too.

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Someone said they thought vaulted ceilings are dated. I think vaulted/cathedral and coffered ceilings are timeless and tray ceilings are a fad that will be dated in the next 10-20 years. And of course I give my obligatory "JMHO."

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

kellyeng and all,

I guess everything changes - styles come and go. I don't think it matters much what kind of ceilings you have. Just be thankful you have a ceiling! And, if it's out of style or dated, you can just say it's "vintage"!!

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

I'm quite happy that I have shelter. However, that has nothing to do with my aesthetic taste in architectural details.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Are tray ceilings a fad? I thought they've been around for quite a while? I don't see them going out of style. I love ceiling details of all kinds! :c)

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

Gosh....

That wasn't intended to suggest taste didn't matter....just to say if you have a ceiling that others might consider dated, there's another way to look at it.

I like all my ceilings - and I have vaulted, coffered and tray, not to mention the plain old flat ones.