Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Fypon PVC

athensmomof3
13 years ago

I asked my builder about Azek crown outside and he said Azek is much more expensive than just stock PVC and that he could craft a good, maintenance free trim package from stock PVC, with PVC on the fascia and freize, hardie on the soffit and preprimed crown moulding (which he said has much less tendency to rot as it is protected by the eave).

I expect the stock PVC he is talking about comes from Fypon as this is who the big Atlanta lumber yard Randall Bros carries.

Although we have not hired this builder yet, I did ask him to look at the specs and plans with an eye to how to cut costs without sacrificing build quality, and he appears to be doing this which I really appreciate!

Any thoughts on it? Is stock PVC (which I expect is Fypon) ok or should you go name brand?

Comments (17)

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Athensmom,

There are alot of pvc trim manufacturers out there.

Azek,Trex, Fypon, Advanced trimwright, Kleer,Koma,tuf board.

Some seem to be denser than others. If you are routing it for mouldings this might be a factor. We used a Trex pvc because it was cheaper but had to use a bit of azek when trex didnt have sheets available for some reason. Anyway It was brighter white and denser. I had samples of both boards and you can feel a weight difference. I dont think it makes much difference but its something to consider / investigate. You might ask for samples of each you are considering. Be sure to get good installation instructions and have somebody who has installed before if possible. It does still expand and contract so you want to get good bonded/ glued joints. I should have researched the installation techniques a bit better but otherwise I love the pvc trims.

• macv
    13 years ago

"Solid PVC" is usually extruded or formed in thin sheets for wrapping or siding. The exterior non-structural trim products you are referring to are called "foamed rigid vinyl" or, more commonly, "cellular PVC".

There is not accepted standard for cellular PVC so it's difficult to know what you're buying. There are even two different methods of manufacturing it: "free foaming" and "inward foaming" ("Celuka" process) and the end products are slightly different.

The Celuka process produces a nearly solid surface of controlled thickness with a low density core, the density gradually decreasing as it nears the center, The surface appearance is similar to solid rigid vinyl. (Koma lightly sands the surface for better paint adhesion)

The free foaming process produces an even density with a thin skin of higher density material. These products exhibit a less rigid, textured surface finish.(Frypon)

Get a sample, test it for paint adhesion, and treat it badly before committing to buying it. Nothing hides from Mother Nature.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good advice macv.

• dixiedoodle
    13 years ago

Fypon is a brand name product...it's not a generic. In fact, a house in my neighborhood has over $100K in Fypon trim on it. I wouldn't knock it.

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Do be aware that most pvc trim boards are pretty expensive. I had a builder recently price some for a job and he said that a 1x12x18' I believe was around $140 so its not cheap. If you are still painting it then you have to pay to do that. You get the maintenance free product but not totally if you are painting it. Just a longer lasting paint job and no rot. Also be careful of darker color paints. In some cases if too dark it can cause the boards to warp. Again most importantly be sure the installer knows the proper ways to fasten/ glue, cut and install the right joints and so on to control/allow for expansion and contraction and give you the best look and lifetime performance.

• macv
    13 years ago

Fypon, Ltd. is best known as an early fabricator of interior and exterior architectural urethane mouldings made by injecting urethane foam into molds. These products are only superficially similar to Fypon's cellular PVC/foamed vinyl trim.

• macv
    13 years ago

"Fypon has the same name recognition in our industry as Coca-Cola does in the soft drink industry or Kleenex in the tissue market.'' Dave Goulette, vice president and general manager of Style Solutions, the company that bought Fypon for it's name recognition and moved it from PA to OH.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing macv! Although being from Atlanta, I would definitively state that in Coca-Cola's case the higher name recognition equates with the better product ;).

• macv
    13 years ago

What you need to be careful about is to learn precisely what material your builder is recommending rather than making assumptions based on his off-handed casual "builder-speak" descriptions. Press him for better information so you can ask questions on this forum that will get you reliable answers.

For all you know, he doesn't know the difference between urethane and PVC trim elements. Combining urethane, PVC, and fiber-cement must be done carefully to accommodate differential expansion and contraction.

• macv
    13 years ago

In addition to differential movement issues, cellular PVC and urethane foam products, unlike wood, have little structural capacity so they must be adequately supported on a structural substrate. Problems with these materials are increased in direct sunlight, in hot climates and at high altitudes.

• max1212
    13 years ago

Another kind of PVc trim that you may want to look into is Versatex. Their density is better than most other trims. They also have their own line of products that have built in J-channels. This makes it easier to install so you can buy the products with precuts. If you are routing I have tried both Versatex and Azek. Versatex actually routes better. The core consistency is better.

• macv
    13 years ago

Versatex cellular PVC trim is made with the free foam process similar to Fypon.

• bcampo_jhmi_edu
    12 years ago

I just had Versatex trim installed around my new clad windows looking for a maintaince free exterior. After the windows were installed, I noticed that they forgot to cut the sill horns. So their fix was to glue little pieces, maybe 2" x 2" to either ends. They said it would hold up and be good as if it was all one piece. I'm doubtful. What do you think? Ripping out the sill, I think would mean redoing the entire window.

• chuck.s
    10 years ago

Need to talk to marcv now about nailing trex tomorrow. Is it possible that you can call us immediately? Chuck and Sue

• chuck.s
    10 years ago

Need to talk to marcv now about nailing trex tomorrow. Is it possible that you can call us immediately? Chuck and Sue in Oakland, California: Call now: 510-204-9180

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Don't use nails on TREX. Install it with special deck screws or with clips if the sides are slotted.

• lsst
    10 years ago

I am in the South East and am redoing a porch using Kleer.
    I had Hardi installed but it delaminated.

Kleer's customer service is outstanding.
    I had planned on using Azec but they had a lead time of 6 weeks for standard product and Kleer was in stock.
    My order of Kleer had damaged boards and the Kleer rep personally handled the situation and delivered the boards and gave me advice on my project.

I had ordered samples of Azec and Kleer and could not tell a difference in quality. Kleer was also a little less expensive.

Azec and Kleer both manufacture sheets that can be routed.
    Correct installation is the key. Your installer must follow strict rules regarding temperature when installing. Use scarf joints.
    Glue and screw as opposed to nailing for best results.