Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

House plans for simple ranch house?

pamghatten
9 years ago

Hi All,

I see some really large homes being built on this forum, I'm going the other way. Looking to downsize from a 20 acre farm with a 2500 sq. ft. house, to 5 acres with a 1500 sq. ft. house.

I'm more interested in a simple design. I've looked at some of the house plan sites online, and they all look the same. I like the outside of a 1950's ranch with a modern inside.

I want a simple roof line, I will have a metal roof since I'm tired of replacing shingled roofs. No vaulted ceilings, I have them now and it's a bear to heat those rooms in the winter. I'm outside Buffalo, NY ... so it gets cold.

I had a Realtor here over the weekend, he did the research, pulled comps, toured my property and gave me a value and list of things to do to list this house next spring/summer. So I need to get working on my plans to build my new house too. I'm thrilled he offered to board my 3 miniature donkeys after the sale of my house while the new one is being built. That was a major concern!

So where did you all find your house plans? Or do I need to find an architect? Any idea of what that will cost?

Any help would be welcome.

Pam

Comments (21)

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

What do you mean by a "modern inside"?

• User
    9 years ago

Pam,
    This may sound a little funny, but I was looking at modular homes the other day online, and they have all the plans there.
    I was toying with the idea of having one put on a piece of land I would buy.
    Anyway, I found the sight informative, they have all kinds of really nice plans, and plans for ranchers too.
    Just an idea.
    I actually liked a small rancher, like a cottage style, and the plans looked like something I would like.
    Just google Modular home plans, and check them out.
    You could print one out and see a builder.
    At least its a starting point, you never know.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dreaming, I'd like the kitchen/eating/living area to be open ... no walls. That's not typical in a 1950's house.

Hi Butterfly, I started looking at modular house plans today, probably a good idea to print out something that might work with some minor changes and talk to builder.

I realized today that I need to visit some houses that are 1400 to 1600 sq. ft., so I have an idea of what that size house feels like.

• caben15
    9 years ago

You could possibly take a book like this to an architect or draftsman and see if they can either modify one of the plans to be more open, or add some of these visual touches to a more modern layout.

Also check out Sunset Western Ranch Homes (on Amazon) by Cliff May.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prize Homes

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

Same idea as caben. See link below for some inspiration and take ideas to an architect or draftsman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Century Home Plans

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you caben & Dreaming! Your links are great! I haven't had time to really go through them, but I saw a couple L shaped ranches on caben's link that really intrigue me.

I'm really not interested in what is currently being built where all you see if the garage from the street. I don't even have a garage right now, so it's really not something I want as the focal point of my home!

I will spend more time this weekend perusing your suggestions! If you find more, send them on.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dawn, I'd love to see some pictures ... I have radiant heat in some rooms in current house and hope to have them in the new house ... it makes it so toasty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We didn't go with modular homes, but when we were thinking about it, we liked the work and quality of these guys...went to tour their factory. They have some pretty basic ranch houses available, and they have the ability to tweak plans to fit your needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 br ranch

• AngelaZ
    9 years ago

Our house is bigger than what you're looking for, but we ended up with what I think of as an updated ranch house. We still about 6 weeks out from completion, but are so happy with how it is turning out. I'll attach a link to our house on our architect's site.

Here is a link that might be useful: our home

This post was edited by AngelaZ on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 18:54

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bump

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anne, really nice home and floor plans ... unfortunately, I'm outside of Buffalo and they don't come this far west in NY. But I'll keep them as a reference ..

Beautiful house Angela! Just a little bigger. LOL!

Keep the ideas coming ... I'm going to have to apply for a "special use permit" to stay in the rural town I currently live in. They require 10 acres for hooved animals, while most neighboring towns only require 3 to 4 acres for my 3 miniature donkeys. A friend has a 5 acre lot around the corner from where I currently live, so I put the bug in his ear about selling it to me ... one possibility.

• AngelaZ
    9 years ago

Thanks pamghatten. I knew it wasn't sized like you want, but thought it might give you some layout ideas ;)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Interesting...considering they're in NY and do cover a 9 state area, I'd of thought that would've included the entire NY state.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

Apologies for this late reply...
    As promised, here are a few photos:

Floor plan (garage is on the kitchen/mudroom side):

Inspiration Pic:

What it ended up like:

Start of the stamped concrete walkways:

Central basement stairs (with the lovely scrap 2x4 railing)

Dining:

Kitchen (Ikea and still not finished, lol):

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just lovely Dawn! Thanks for sharing. Are you happy with the quality of the Ikea kitchen cabinets? They look great, I was thinking about going up to Ikea and looking at them.

Have my contractor/builder coming to start talking about what to do, next week.

• sweet.reverie
    9 years ago

We built a 2400 square foot mostly one level home. If you took out the bonus room, it would be about 2000 square feet.

Kitchen, dining and living is open. Bedrooms are at the front of the house and the kitchen, dining, living in the back with double french doors out to the back yard.

You can find the floorplan on my blog as well as pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

Pam,
    I adore my Ikea cabs - they're sturdy, functional, and not a single problem with them after 6 years ... I'd do them again in a heartbeat!

• sweet.reverie
    9 years ago

And we also love our ikea kitchen :)

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

Your home is lovely, Sweet Reverie.

• pamghatten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both your homes are lovely, and I am thrilled to see Ikea cabinets in both.

sweet, your blog is great, I do one too ... though I haven't updated it in a while. Please tell me about that awesome looking bathtub too! (And your girls are adorable)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz