Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lclevel1

My Spray Foam Experience (Very Long post)

lclevel1
10 years ago

Hi everyone.
It's been several years since I've taken the time to post here. I've been very busy building our dream home, while also trying to balance my time between work and family.
It's been a long 6 years but I finally see the end of our build getting close. We hope to be in the new house by the end of this year.
You're probably asking yourself, why has it taken 6 years? Well here's a little background.
I currently live in a mobile home, on my property (acreage) located in the country, which is "Paid in Full". When my wife and I decided to build, it was with the understanding that we would NOT get a new mortgage and risk the property that is now owned by us. We also knew there was only way we could afford our dream house, and that was to pay cash each step of the way, and build it ourselves. So trying to save money, and doing MOST of the work ourselves, is why it has taken so long.

Now, about that Spray Foam.
This is one of the very few projects that I eventually hired out. However, I do regret to say that I tried using the Soythane DIY kits, but it was a disaster. This is not meant to discredit Soythane. It just didn't work for me (but that's another story). I was actually able to get the house sprayed by a pro for less money than what the kits cost. But hey, I tried.

I know there are lots of folks, who discredit foam and think there are better alternatives (etc., etc.). And there are a lot of folks who believe in foam such as me. PLEASE, this is not meant to be a debate on whether foam is bad or good. I'm only trying to share MY experience. If this information can help someone who is contemplating whether or not to use foam, that would be wonderful.

Before I proceed further, let me first say many, many, thanks goes to energy_rater_la for all the valuable information that she has freely given on this forum. We corresponded back and forth by email a couple of times (a few years ago) and I very much appreciate the advice I received.

House Details:
Location is near Baton Rouge, La.
Daily High Temperature is currently about 95 deg. F. with high humidity
5,700 Sq. Ft. (3,840 on 1st floor, 1,860 on 2nd floor)
ROOF Construction: 8" average open cell foam, 1/2" plywood decking, moisture barrier, Galvalume metal roofing.
WALL Construction: 2"x6" Studs with 5" open cell foam, 1/2" drywall, 1/2" plywood, house wrap, 1" foam sheathing (reduces heat transfer through the studs), 1/8" air barrier, Hardi Plank siding.
Concrete Slab
More than average Large Double Pane Vinyl Windows
Full Sun, 2 feet overhang
Very air tight construction

Keep in mind that I do not live in the house yet so I do not have a stove in use. But I have kids and we do have a lot of traffic in and out.

Now the COOLING results: UNBELIEVABLY Good.

The 1st floor is maintaining a temperature of 68 degrees and the 2nd floor is maintaining about 73 degrees. BUT WAIT. I haven't told you the BEST part yet.

This 5,700 Sq. Ft. house is being cooled by only one (1) small 8,000 BTU window unit!!!! When friends come over to visit they are in shock.

Now to be fair, I must say that the window unit can only maintain that temperature. If I were to shut the unit off for several days and allowed the house to warm up, I doubt the window unit would be able to bring the temp back down. It can only maintain.

The A/C calculations for this house is only 3 1/2 Tons. I hope to have the Central Unit installed by the end of this summer. I will probably have two -2 ton units.

Now here are the results for this past winter:

I think the coldest days we had here were about 27 degrees. The house NEVER got below 60 degrees.
I rarely turned on the heat, but can you guess what I used?

It was a 1,500 watt ceramic heater. Again, it would not raise the temperature in the house, but it would maintain what it already was. Even when it was 27 degrees outside, it was a comfortable (to me anyway) 60 degrees inside.

The a/c unit in my trailer broke a couple of years ago and I'm currently using 4 window units in the small 16 x 80 trailer and it isn't nearly as cool as it is in the large house with only 1 unit.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm so excited about my results that I had to share.

Comments (6)

• jennybc
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Question for you! Love to hear about the good of spray foam. We are using a hybrid between spray and blown in cellulose. (I would have prefered all spray but DH.... well thats another story).

So Im assuming that the reason the small AC unit is able to maintain that temp is because of the very low air turnover of the house. With such a small amount of "leakage" do you have trouble with the humidity? I've been talking to the building inspector about spray foam and I had a concern of a tight house being tight enough to not allow the AC unit to run enough to extract the moisture from the air. One person I talked to said you downsize the unit - to make it work more.?. Most have said to incorporate and Air exchanger (or Heat Recovery Ventilation etc.)
    Are you worried about moisture?
    Thanks for the cool post.

Jen

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

water- congrats on building an efficient home. its good to see results and suggestions taken by the pros that offer it up on this forum.

Jen
    Tight homes need to have correctly sized hvac for it. There are very few mechanical guys that know how to size units for tight homes with very low air leakage. Most "rule of thumb" sizing does not work. The large units short cycle and do not run long enough to extract the humidity out of the air like you mentioned. Smaller units will have longer run times, correct, but they will run at a much lower speed so the energy usage is lower and the house maintains better. My home is an ICF home with similar r value (r 28 average and r60 attic with some r50 foamed rafters) and air tightness with triple pane windows only uses a 2 ton AC unit. The square footage is about 3800 total conditioned space. In zone 6 with 7200 HDD, the furnace is a Lennox modulating that ranges from 22k btu to 70k. It runs around the 25k for most of the time in the winter at 0 and below. Rarely does it ramp up to full speed ever. The mechanical was carefully designed and selected, and there is also an HRV installed. The full mechanical, high end equipment and HRV only cost $12k for the home nearly 4k sqft. I have seen people post numbers on here that are over double that in dollars and sizing for the same square footage. This is due to some or all of: code min. home design and construction and/or oversized hvac.

Now, its great the spray foam is performing, but without starting the debate, I just want to be clear to any readers that they are other methods of achieving a tight home, high r, and the same results as the poster WITHOUT using spray foam, all at a reduced cost of spray foam.

And as always, put the money into the shell of the home, not the hvac! Increase the shell, decrease the hvac. Most cases, dollars are a wash or less and energy usage is lower for the life of the home!

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm astonished! In a good way!

I also plan on putting foam in my home, and am very encouraged by your report. cheers!

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the update and congratulations on your project. Must feel good to do so much of the work yourself. I hope you offered to compensate energyrater for their time. Doing so would be highly ethical and increase the likelihood of other folks getting important help with their projects.

Have to point out that the exterior foam sheathing is the best bang for the buck for using foam for walls. I agree with lzearc that good results can be done without spray foam although I find open cell spray foam to be cost competitive with cellulose and sprayed fiberglass in our area for wall applications.

I think your stellar results have more to do with the time and effort you have put into the air sealing rather than the spray foam. I think spray foam in the walls has a very small impact on blower door tests for the most part. The roof deck on the other hand..

• susan133476
    10 years ago

its really a good jod you are doing i will also try in my new house.........it was so good i have ever seen........

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl siding baton rouge

• galore2112
    10 years ago

I'm in a similar situation with a 4 year total DIY build, same reasoning (nearing completion and the 4 year anniversary on January).

The house is a concrete structure with EPS insulation (R64 on flat roof), triple pane windows, 16" thick exterior walls with Galvalume siding.

We installed our 2-ton AC two weeks ago, 100F +/-, humid days and now the house is a nice 72F with Typical construction here would use a 2 ton unit for the downstairs and a 3 ton unit for the upstairs for similar square-footage. I had that setup in my previous house and with duct-work in the super hot attic and leaky construction, the house never cooled below 78F during 100F days and we ended up with $600+ electricity bills. This was one of the main reasons to build something better because I got sick of burning cash on AC every summer.