Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbythecat

Hard Hats on construction site?

gabbythecat
10 years ago

Did you wear them? Now that we're so close to groundbreaking - as soon as our site prep guy can start - I'm wondering if we have to wear hats. Both dh and I want to be on site as much as we can - not supervising (we have a foreman for that), but picking berries in the forest, taking pictures, and watching! Are we supposed to wear hard hats, or is that just for politicians who are doing photo ops at important construction sites? :-)

Comments (14)

• galore2112
    10 years ago

I would wear one if something could fall on your head.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Wear them ... have your names put on them. And wear good shoes with good traction, too.

It reminds you, when you put it on, that you are entering a construction zone.

If you make them a distinctive color, they workmen can spot you and know where you are.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

OSHA like them if there is ANY overhead work.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I don't visit the site while work is going on -- I will if I am asked to go, but generally I aim to keep out of the way. I don't have a hard hat because I would aim not to be close enough to work that would require hard hats-- I don't want to be a distraction/hazard. I'd strongly recommend good work boots-- I was at the site over the weekend and inadvertently stepped on a nail-- the nice thick sole protected my foot. I would not go in open toe shoes or flip flops.

• gabbythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, my dh and I are serving as our own GCs, although we do have a site foreman. We're very good about staying out of the way while work is going on, and this is 6 acres - easily enough room for us to be hiking in our forest while the crew is working.

Groundbreaking is Saturday; it'll be a few weeks until the overhead work begins. We'll definitely get hard hats before then. Thanks!

• worthy
    10 years ago

If you make them a distinctive color

No, it's not fashion! Foremen (and owners) wear white.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 20:24

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

"I was at the site over the weekend and inadvertently stepped on a nail-- the nice thick sole protected my foot. I would not go in open toe shoes or flip flops."

I second this comment. I got a nail in my flip flop while gardening in the front beds after our roof was repaired.

You mentioned picking berries in the forest. Think twice about doing this without a hard hat if the day is particularly windy. Our tree guy warned us about this. We have several large silver maples in our yard. He said he would decline to sit on our deck if the day were particularly windy.

Wishing you beautiful weather for your new build!

• gabbythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. We started construction yesterday - woo hoo! The crew cleared our new driveway; the logs for our house will arrive in a few weeks. We are underway!!!

I'm not at all concerned about our forest, although thanks for mentioning it. The woods here are stable, except during storms - this is not a stormy time of year. My dh and I backpack and hike in the local forests, including our own. We are very comfortable with all that comes with forest life, including our wild "neighbors" (bears, coyotes). This is rugged country (not Alaska, but far from city life), and all of us who live in the area know how to take care of ourselves out here. :-)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I was think of hot day-glo pink to identify "clueless visitor" like some of the mines around here do.

• User
    10 years ago

Only wear them if you care about not getting hit in the head and ending up in the hospital. That may sound simplistic, but even on a job site with no workmen, hazards still exist that would make it prudent to understand and practice worksite safety. Hearing protection, goggles, sturdy shoes, should be worn. If you are the GC of the job, it's up to you to make sure that you provide your workmen with the safety glasses and earplugs. And that they use them when need be, such as when operating loud equipment for the earplugs, or for pretty much any task for the safety glasses. (Respirators for any who will be dealing with enclosed spaces and chemicals like solvents and floor stains, etc.) Also, no untucked shirts or skimpy shorts or sundresses onsite. You don't need the entanglement issues, or the distraction issues for the workmen. If you appear as a professional, you are more likely to be treated as one.

• gabbythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly, you're joking, aren't you? Why would *any* homeowner/builder be immature enough to wear skimpy clothing, etc. to a work site? I can't imagine anyone doing that. If someone has the brains to build a house (and to earn the money for that house), they probably have the brains to know to dress professionally. Or maybe I just don't know the "right" people? ;-P Do people really dress like immature kids when they are building their own homes?

At any rate: we live in the back country. We are surrounded by heavy forest, steep terrain, and lots of wildlife. For most of us out here, heavy blue jeans and/or hiking pants with hiking boots are part of daily attire, on or off the work site. I honestly can't remember when I last wore anything else. We "accessorize" with heavy work gloves...Perhaps if other people are confused about what is proper workplace attire, those issues should be addressed in a separate thread, where a discussion like that could be helpful?

• ibewye
    10 years ago

I would only wear a hard hat when picking the berries, as the squirrels may think your nuts.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"Holly, you're joking, aren't you? Why would *any* homeowner/builder be immature enough to wear skimpy clothing, etc. to a work site? I can't imagine anyone doing that. "

She has a point.
    I have seen how some women dress nowadays. Haven't you?
    And many of those women would think nothing of going to a work site in what they wore to the beach, etc.

• bowyer123
    10 years ago

Ibewye...bada bing! haha!

I would definitely recommend proper footwear. I saw a man walking around his site with sneakers and he stepped on a (approximately 2 feet long) 2x4 that had a nail sticking up. He screamed and as he lifted his foot, the board came up with it as the nail had went through his shoe and into his foot! Not something I want to see again! A trip to the doctor and a tetanus shot came next.

Hard hats are a good idea, but generally aren't used in residential construction in my area.