Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Anyone familiar with Rubio Monocoat floor finish?

ncamy
14 years ago

I'm still on the hunt for finding a healthy alternative to Waterlox and ran across the website for this product. Has anyone heard of it or even better used it? I'd prefer an oil finish to a poly shield, but I don't want to deal with the toxic smells of Waterlox. Also I'd like something that can be easily refreshed without a total sand job. I'm also considering just plain tung oil, but the Monocoat intrigues me, especially the fact that it will only accept one coat which will cut down on labor. As always thanks for your opinions.

Comments (6)

• timber.j
    14 years ago

We used the Rubio Monocoat, and I really like how it turned out. The odor is very slight-it didn't bother me at all (I am really sensitive to chemicals, too). I liked that I didn't have to worry about toxic odors since I was pregnant when we did our floors. We didn't have to leave the house at all!

• marcuskelley
    14 years ago

I had a pro match my kitchen with red oak that I already have throughout my first floor. He sanded and then applied Rubio Monocoat. The stuff really made the floors beautiful. I am so happy with the stuff that I am likely going to apply their outdoor material to a cedar deck I just constructed. The stuff smells nice, I stayed off it for a couple days and then walked on it with clean socks for another week, Skip the polyurethane and its associate fumes and go with Rubio Monocoat.

• ktw38
    14 years ago

I think Monocoat is a great product. I love the matte finish and the feel. I used the Oak color on a new white quartersawn oak floor. We've had a couple accidents (dog) and I've needed to resand and apply more oil and am pretty satisfied w/ the results. Much easier to fix than a poly coated floor, and alot nicer looking than the super gloss coatings.

• EadieS
    10 years ago

Hi MarcusKelley, We also used RM on our interior wood floors and love it. In addition, we have a brand new cedar deck we are considering using the outdoor monocoat on. Would absolutely be interested in hearing your experience. Valuable info as little exists on the internet!

• Why_not_me
    10 years ago

We used Rubio Monocoat on unfinished oak floors; we used the accelerator, and cleaned the floors with the Rubio special cleaner first, as well.

The floors are GORGEOUS. It really brought out the rich tones of the oak - it looked very orange initially, but it's mellowed already, and it's only been a week.

The smell went from strongly linseed for the first 24 hours to fading beeswax.

It's expensive stuff, so I'd love to find something Canadian: come on, Canada, get with the program!