Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twolabs_gw

Please help...what color did you use?

twolabs
13 years ago

What colors did you use in your house? Pics would be great too! We are in a rush to pick out a new color for the main part of our house. Any help you guys could give would be VERY appreciated!

Comments (20)

• rethree
    13 years ago

Blue... totally Blue.

• crescent50
    13 years ago

We chose revere pewter as the neutral to tie together the rest of the colors in our house. We are using it in the foyer, upper and lower hallways, mud room & basement.
    It is a nice "greige" color that flows well (or so I hope- they started priming over the weekend) with our other choices-- dry sage (LR/DR), vellum (Kitchen) and Metallic Silver (Office) that surround it.

Good Luck! I found it very hard to pick paint without actually living in the space (lighting, furniture, feel of the rooms, etc.).

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Mansfield Tan is a good neutral, and so is Monroe Bisque (more gold). Shaker beige has a little more taupe cast but is also pretty on the walls. All are Benjamin Moore.

• pps7
    13 years ago

We used BM Natural cream. It is a very light greyish cream. I'm not used ot having light colors so we will see how I like it. It's in our foyer, hall and stairs, family room and dining room. There are 7 other colors in the house for added pop. Other colors, I considered included: Edgecomb grey, revere pewter and manchester tan.

Here's a pic: natural cream in the foreground. Gray wisp in the back gorund.

• twolabs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you guys very much! Our "color crisis" has been resolved now. Your suggestions really helped us in picking out our new color. I hadn't even thought to look at BM paints. We ended up choosing BM Hush. It's a new summer color and it was perfect for our house! Thanks again!

• crescent50
    13 years ago

Shelly-- I'd love to see it since it is what we are planning. All of our woodwork is white so I thought it was enough of a contrast. What color is yours?

Thanks so much!

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Crescent50,

Our woodwork is SW Creamy -- so, off-white. We tried Revere Pewter and we could hardly see the difference between the paint and the trim! It was crazy! I thought it would be too dark and it ended up being too light. But I love the darker version of it. I'll take some pics today and you can see for yourself. We have alot of southern exposure light so I'm not sure if that is what makes the difference or not.

• crescent50
    13 years ago

Hi Shelly,
    Thanks for the kind word on the other post. We are happy with the exterior & are now excited to be working on the inside.
    Funny- I actually switched to the revere pewter because I thought the original color was too dark. We don't have a ton of light in the foyer because of the porch & the ceilings are only 9'- no 2 story foyer so I think we may be ok but I would love to see pictures.
    Thanks so much!

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Crescent50

Here is the DARKENED Revere Pewter against our trim which is Sherwin Williams Creamy. These were taken at 2:00 p.m. without any lights on. Big windows are south-facing.

I think the color appears a tad darker in person than what is showing in the pictures. However, it is still pretty light, even after we darkened it a lot!

Dining Room:
    {{gwi:1459709}}

A strip of paint against backsplash and cabinet:

Dining Room again:

Family Room:

Walkout lower level:

Lower level stairwell:

• crescent50
    13 years ago

Wow Shelly-- that really is an eye opener! Much, much lighter than I had thought. Did you chose the next shade on the strip or change the formula to get the color darker?
    BTW, your home looks great! I love the dark cabinets & the kitchen backsplash is beautiful. We are doing a coffer ceiling in our family room too & I just chose expresso cabinets for our master bath. Hopefully mine will turn out as good as yours!
    How much longer do you have?

• pps7
    13 years ago

Shelly, I love the darker revere pewter! What did you tell them to do exactly? Revere pewter at double strentgh? Does the darker version make the green undertone more obvious?

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Crescent50 -- there was not another shade darker than revere pewter on the strip. So I had the paint guy just add more color to revere pewter. He said that there was both black and a tan/beige color in the formula and he added equal amounts of both. I believe he at least doubled the darkness factor, but there is no set way to do that, I guess.

Thanks for the comments on the cabs and backsplash -- so far we are thrilled with how it's coming together. I wanted to hire a decorator but we didn't.. so I hope that doesn't show too much! :)

pps7 -- I can read the formula off the paint can if you are interested in the color. I didn't know there was green in it -- I don't see any green in it now and I don't remember the paint guy telling me there was anything but a tan and a black color in there. I guess that is why it makes a great greige color!

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Forgot to add -- looks like we may begin moving things in around July 12 or 13... so a couple more weeks yet. Stone guy has alot to do yet inside! We'll see! We have our apartment until July 31 but we shouldn't be waiting that long. I'm getting anxious!

• pps7
    13 years ago

Shelly- you must be so excited. This is the home stretch! We have our rental until August 15th. Yikes! Our cabinets just arrived, but we don't have counter tops yet.

The tiling is finally done!

I liked the revere pewter, but wanted something darker, so we went with silver fox in some of the rooms:

There still seems to be so much to do! Hopefully it will all get done.

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

pps7 -- Love your home! Your doors are really beautiful and such a gorgeous tiled shower!! Love the seat!

• crescent50
    13 years ago

pps7-- your bathroom tile is beautiful & I love the silver fox. I am going to have the paint store darken the revere pewter for me (based on shelly's pictures) & get a pint of the SF before I let the painters start.
    Good luck to you in the final stretch... can't wait to see more pictures!

Shelly-- wow! You really are almost done. We have our apartment until September 30 & I have my fingers crossed we will be ready. No decorator for us either-- it really is nerve racking to make all of the decisions but exciting too. Thank God for all of the help from GW.
    Try not to worry too much-- you are doing an awesome job! Post more pictures when you can.

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

Crescent50 -- we tried Silver Fox when we first were trying color and we thought it was so dark. But that was when we though Revere Pewter was dark too. We were painting on the white drywall, before trim. Against the white, it did look dark, but I wonder if we painted Silver Fox now against the cream trim, if it might look pretty close to the darkened revere pewter. Make sure you try your samples against actual trim color to give you the best idea. And the same color looked way different in some rooms, depending on the natural light there. Who would have thought it could be so hard? :)

• excited2build
    13 years ago

I'm torn between hush and monroe bisque or another neutral color. It is going in our Great room, foyer and hallways. I wanted something neutral because I don't think I'll repaint in there as often as I will the smaller rooms. Did you like the hush on your walls or has it not been painted yet?

• twolabs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

excited2build-

Monroe Bisque was also a possibility. We bought a sample of it, Hush, and a couple others. We painted large samples on a wall in the living room, and the Monroe Bisque had alot more fleshy and gold tones to it than what we wanted. The Hush had just the right amount of gold undertones without appearing too much. I'm sure some will think of it as another "blah beige", but we really like how it turned out against our stained cabinets and off-white trim. Here are a couple of pictures.