Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncfarmer

Doing an owner/builder house

ncfarmer
10 years ago

I am in somewhat of a dilemma on my footers. I have designed a house we are building in NC, live in FL. My design is a monolithic slab with footers 16"w X 20" deep. I have a backhoe but it has a 24" bucket. If I dig with that I will need to extra form up all the footers. I found a 16" used bucket on the west coast but shipping is a killer.

I can rent locally a trackhoe but it has a 13" bucket and I would have to scrape the sides wider. The same rental has a new Barreto Model 2024TKH trencher. This is a track trencher and in videos online looks very stable. What I would like to find out is if anyone has used a trencher and been able to make a double wide path? I am afraid it will tend to follow the existing trench rather than widen it. Anyone???

Comments (5)

• robin0919
    10 years ago

What do you mean by 'extra form up'? I'm in NC, Charlotte area. Footers are usually 24" wide and 20" deep. That trench 'is' the form to pour concrete.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Even if you do find a 16" bucket if your soil isn't perfect for digging it might end up being 18-24" in spots anyway. I just dug 500' with a 24" bucket on a mini-ex yesterday and there probably wasn't one spot that was 24" wide and especially wider when I hit hard pan/rocks.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply's. This will be a monolithic slab and about a 75 yard pour. The min requirement in my area and at 3200 feet elev. is 12"W by 16"D which to me is to little. So I have increased it to 16"W by 20"D after talking to the local inspectors and some concrete finishers in the area. I have already moved hundreds of yards of dirt in order to build a barn and so far over 300' of driveway plus the house location. I have started to level an area to build and hit mostly small rocks, (football size). I have dug trenches as much as 6' deep and find that the trench size is maintained at my bucket width. I ran into two rocks weighing in at around 1000 lbs and getting them out did widen the trench. The photo below gives you the typical soil I'm dealing with, very good until it rains. Because of where we live and where we are building and time spent traveling back and forth as well as renting, we need to work efficient and not waste time. This will be my third house build, one being on an island off the coast of FL. having no bridges. We know how to get it right the first time.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you're not forming the footings. Around here, any foundation - even for a garage - is formed. Why would you not want a formed footing?

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

to dlm2000, I too have noticed that a lot of folks on here just use the dirt trench as their footing forms! Amazes me, as there's NO WAY my permit office would allow it. Everyone here makes wood forms for everything and strips them after the concrete cures a couple of days.

Such differences!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH