Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landngarage

8x8 posts and concrete

landngarage
11 years ago

Hello. My plan calls for three, nine foot tall 8x8 posts that support a long floor beam above. Are there any brackets or Simpson tie products to secure or bolt the posts to the concrete floor below?

Are there brackets to secure them to the beam above as well? Thanks

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

yes both Simpson and USP make both those type of anchors

• renovator8
    11 years ago

This sounds like a structure that should be designed by an engineer and that might be required by the building department. An engineer would specify the connectors needed. Don't guess or rely on advice on the internet.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Don't guess or rely on advice on the internet."

Or from a device manufacturer who is not supplying stamped plans.

• landngarage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys but rather than spend money on an engineer I'd rather just buy the best brackets available and be done with it. The application is simple: a 32x64 foot garage with a beam going the 64' distance, being supported along the way three times by 8x8 posts and with 2x6 walls at the ends. A friend built the same structure with 2x4 walls and 6x6 posts. I'm satisfied I'm headed in the right direction, I just don't care for his brackets.

I know the safe answer is "see an engineer" but what I'm lookng for are the highest quality steel brackets that have bolts or some other device that sit deep in the concrete footing. I really do thank you for your help and I'm not being dismissive...just honestly on a budget and satisfied the strength is there with my insistence on heavier duty wood.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

The best brackets not installed in the proper application are worthless and a 64' garage beam is not a simple application in my book. What do the plans call for, what did the engineer or architect design? Will the building inspector pass it if it is not as drawn?

• landngarage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response. The plans originally called for 6x6 posts sitting on concrete footings. The builder who built my friends version of this plan used steel L shaped brackets, just one per post, J bolted into the slab. I'd like to do better, hence the 8x8 posts, and I am thinking of Simpson devices like this (link below)

I'll provide the link to a similiar device in the next post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson post device

• landngarage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This device seems simpler....

Here is a link that might be useful: another column base

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Unless the wood columns are pressure treated they must be separated from the concrete floor by a space. The column base shown does not provide such a space since the steel bottom plate must rest on the concrete. Even if such a design is acceptable to the local authorities, it is a very bad construction detail.

The way this problem is usually avoided is to use 3.5" diam. prefabricated structural steel tube posts with anchor plates welded to the top and bottom and bolts into the floor and girder.

• loafer80
    11 years ago

The CBSQ88 column base would provide the necessary gap for wood to concrete contact.
    Simpson also provides CC column caps and CCQ column caps, those might be suitable for your application.

A word of caution, these are critical structural elements and require professional design. Even if your friend's garage was built with 6x6 column and still standing doesn't mean its safe nor oversizing to 8x8. Only an engineer can tell you that. The same applies to connections, finding the best you can find doesn't mean it is safe to use.

• landngarage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input....the 8x8's will be treated.

I will talk to my potential builder about your suggestions on an engineer.