Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103166

Selecting exterior colors

User
11 years ago

Because our build is already in progress, we are meeting with the builder's designer to select exterior colors tomorrow at 7am! :)

This is our elevation:

This is a photo of a slightly different elevation (our roof pitch is steeper and our windows are arranged slightly differently)

(Ignore the silly skinny shutters---they bug me too. Will just remove them myself if they still bug me once it's complete.)

The front of our house will face north. The back and left of the house are densely lined with mature trees. To the right is a neighboring house.

This is in Minnesota so half of the year the lot will be lush and green, and half of the year it will be dismal and gray. (Winter pictures here all look like they were taken in black and white!)

I'm kind of leaning toward muted shades of green with grey-toned stone or grey/greige with red/orange-toned stone, but I'm open to almost anything. Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Problem solved...we drove around looking at new construction houses in our neighborhood. All of our favorites were muted green. Decision made! :P

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Knock on one or two to see if they happen to know what color they actually painted their house. I did that with a condo complex a few years back to choose my colors. Glad I did too, because I wouldn't have guessed the colors I would like were those colors on the tiny little paint chip.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the colors we selected, approximately. I did the photoshopping from memory, so it's possible the shade of green is slightly off, but you get the general idea. Dark brownish-grey bricks, dark muted green shakes/siding, dark gray shingles, beige trim.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I like that. Enough color to liven up your winters but muted so as not to be garish in the summer sun. Very pretty! You done good.

:-)

BTW, what IS that squarish thing in the driveway??? At first I thought it was just a board that got dropped on the driveway but it looks like it is actually installed there. I've never seen anything like it down here in TX so I'm totally perplexed as to what it might be.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL it confused the dickens out of me too. I think it is just a board (maybe a door) that they dropped in the driveway of the model home and the photographer couldn't be bothered to move it before taking photos.

Thanks for the feedback on the colors! Lots of BIG DECISIONS today! I definitely need a little reassurance! :D

• aucorley
    11 years ago

This is very close to the color we have chosen. We are using hardie plank Mountain Sage (also a muted green) with a grayish brown shake, black door and black shutters.

We can't wait to see it done as I am sure are the same!
    Best of Luck!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aucorley, ours is also Mountain Sage! When will your build be complete? Have you found any pictures of your color combination in use in the wild? I'd love to see! :)