Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrubalinda

Checklist when reviewing floorplan

Scrubalinda
12 years ago

This is my first time to build a custom home and I am getting into the final reviews of the floorplan and want to make sure I don't miss anything... or at least, don't miss much. Does anyone know of a checklist of items you should review that you may not necessarily think of? Like which way the door swings, or which wall has the light switch, etc.

Comments (3)

• periwinkle18
    12 years ago

I had friends and family who had built houses before check through my plan before we finalized. Experience is such a helpful thing!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

You're on the right track with the door swings & light switches. Posting your floorplan here on GW would allow many eyes to help review it for you (If you need help with posting it, let us know & we'll walk you through it). As far as a list goes, I'd add:

-Double checking clearance width in all walkways (3' being the absolute minimum with 4' or more preferable).

-Are the right toilets specced on the plan--round vs. elongated--having round on the plan can make a big difference if you're actually planning for elongated.

-Making sure your furniture will fit the rooms with their current window/door openings by doing a to-scale furniture layout (don't forget kids grow up and you may want to put a larger bed in their room one day so make sure that size bed fits as well both by width & length (queens and kings are both wider and longer than twins & doubles). Make sure to double check those light switches & door swings once you have the furniture in place on the plan, too.

-Do you have enough room to completely open the oven/dishwasher/refrigerator doors without hitting an adjacent wall/casing/cabinet/cabinet pull/appliance? I think I remember a thread where the poster's stainless steel refrigerator door panel was dented from hitting the adjacent oven's handle and another where the homeowner had to remove an adjacent cabinet's pull to be able to open the dishwasher and she couldn't open that drawer more than a few inches because it hit the part of the dishwasher panel that sticks out when closed.

-Is anything specced on the plan that is a non-standard size & will have to be made custom that may end up costing a bundle?

-Roof pitches including porch roofs at least 4/12 to avoid being required to use more expensive roofing options to meet code.

-Have you planned for where the HVAC returns will be located? Let's face it, they serve a great purpose, but they're not that pretty to look at.

-Where will your mechanicals be located?

-Double check door sizes into bathrooms and closets--designers oftern spec smaller doors in these areas

-Double check closet sizes for ALL bedrooms--that line designers put in the closet layout are where the rod is, not the end of the hanger. Make sure there's enough room for you to walk in and select what you're going to wear without having to turn sideways to do it.

• musings
    12 years ago

I review plans with clients by helping them imagine walking through each space the way they will use it. Step by step, starting with the front door. (Also, consider furniture placement for each area.)

Example: Is the entry mainly for you to enter or for visitors? When you open the door, are the light switches convenient to the side where the door opens? Do you have space/wall space for seating or furniture to place things on (packages, mail, keys, etc.). Are electrical outlets where you might have lamps? Are the lamps switched by the front door or will you manually turn them on/off? Do you have wall space (w/o switches, alarm boxes, etc.) where you will hang a mirror or artwork? Is there a nearby place to put guests coats/purses when you entertain? When you leave the entry, are there more switches you can turn everything on/off from?

We do this for each space. It helps you realize what's missing/wrong. Many times we find there are not enough or well placed electrical outlets; switches are located in places we might want to hang something or inconvenient to the entry/exit of a room; doors that open into small bathrooms making it quite a task to open/close the door from the inside; not enough hose bibs in convenient locations outside; not enough wall space for furniture placement/hanging items; inadequate lighting. Another consideration is door size.

Also, if you are considering accessibility or aging-in-place, you might want to ensure doors/openings are 3' wide and hallways/walkways width of at least 48".

I also agree with the post regarding showing your plan to others for another perspective check.