Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

please help....windows

mommyto4boys
11 years ago

They are waiting for me to sign off on windows and I'm trying to finalize things, but I am still over budget.

Before I get into the budget/windows...

We want the tan color outside for the grilles & were thinking of going with white for the interior. Thoughts, ideas, opinions??? We will have an off-whitish painted trim color in the house.

I'm about $3800 over and would like your opinion...

We are using Andersen 400 casments.

I'm guessing, the screens are around $700...should we wait & order them next year?

We are having 10 ft ceilings. Our dining room is adjacent to the kitchen & is off the back of the house like a sun-room. There isn't a formal/front dining area. We are excited about this room & it will be used all the time. There is a coverd patio that wraps around 2 sides of the dining room. The two side walls will have 3 attached windows W/ transoms on each wall. The wall adjacent to the kitchen and facing the backyard will have double french doors. The quote is for the doors to have a transom above. If I switch to 8 foot doors, without transoms I would save $1500 for the two doors.

Please let me know your thoughts? Doing both would get me to 1600 over. Would it be better to find something else in the budget to cut? Here we go...AGAIN! Thanks!

Also, what about going to grilles on just the front elevation? Any idea on that savings?

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Grilles on street side are an option, and fairly "normal". Not sure how much that will save though.

I can't comment on any of the rest... Pal might be better.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    11 years ago

I think I would postpone the screens, then look for another place to trim costs. Mill work, counter surfaces, hardware are all easy to upgrade later. Your window/transom, French door/transom combination sounds lovely. And, as you said, they are in a room that you would use and enjoy often. I agree with kirkhall. Grilles on the rear elevation would be completely optional. Not sure about the savings.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I would definitely wait on the screens and save the $700 for now.

On the doors, can you make 1 set of the doors stationary? That would save some money right there. Think about your furniture placement in that room and whether or not you would feasibly use both sets of doors. If not, I would only make the one likely to get the most use functional.

Only go to 8' doors if the elevation will look right to you. $1500 in savings isn't worth it if everytime you look at the doors/exterior of the house you're unhappy with the look. If you have transoms all along that section of elevation, then you should definitely stick with transoms over the doors, IMO.

If I remember right, GBGs ran ~$16-25 per window depending on the pattern. SDL & TDL will cost event more. So there is definitely money to be saved there. With that being said, it would bother me to not have the uniformity of grids all around the house, but that's just me. Deleting the grids everywhere except the front of the house is really going to come down to your personal taste.

Hope this helps!

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I would get the windows you want (love) and cut costs on things that can be more easily changed later. Like vinyl floors in the bathrooms instead of tile, hollow core doors on closets instead of solid doors, and cheaper kitchen counters & bathroom vanity tops.

But ... windows matter a lot to me. I have no idea why, but they just do. We went with Marvin windows (wood frames, aluminum clad exteriors with SDL 6 over 1) and I love looking at them every day. The bathroom floors are vinyl (surprisingly realistic, 3 people have said, "I love your tile!" when they see the floor). We got vanities off of Craigslist. But the windows ... I just love.

As long as you aren't going with the cheap "$99 Vinyl Window Sale!" type windows you probably need to weigh what matters most to you. What can you most easily live with? The tradeoffs are different for everyone.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I agree with others. Look for other places to cut costs instead of the windows. However, transoms do cost money. And if you have any circle tops, those cost 2x as much as the window they sit above.
    For me I place expensive/transom windows on the front, and leave them off the back and sides. If you are wanting light in the room/views...transoms do not help you. A single large window will be a lot less then a window with a transom, and also let in more light. Views are uneffected either way. Typically each square transom above the window adds 1/3-1/2 the cost of the window it sits above.

• momo7
    11 years ago

I wouldn't and didn't cut windows in order to save money - get what you love. If you can love taller windows instead of transoms, fine. Personally, I chose to keep my transoms even though quite a few people didn't think they really suited my house. I figured there was enough who thought it would be fine so that allowed me to do what I really wanted.

I did cut my deck in half, or maybe even less to save some money. I'm just going to have stairs coming down from a set of patio doors. We're not supposed to move in until October anyway so we wouldn't really use a big deck this year and next year we can hopefully afford to build on to it.

If your boys are anything like my boys, I might be hesitant to go without screens until next year. But I'm the one who found 13 dinky cars in her central vac ducting so maybe nobody has boys like mine.

Good luck.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I am also planning a new build and using Anderson 400 casement windows. How often to you open windows? I hardly ever opened the ones in my last house...in fact, the screens were stored under the beds. To me they interfere with the view and my DH always liked to keep the windows shut because to open them let in a lot of humidity and it made the AC work that much harder. So I doubt if I will order the screens to begin with on my build...don't know how much it will save, but every little bit helps.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I am also planning a new build and using Anderson 400 casement windows. How often to you open windows? I hardly ever opened the ones in my last house...in fact, the screens were stored under the beds. To me they interfere with the view and my DH always liked to keep the windows shut because to open them let in a lot of humidity and it made the AC work that much harder. So I doubt if I will order the screens to begin with on my build...don't know how much it will save, but every little bit helps.