Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lockian

Ductwork in a new house with baseboard hot water?

lockian
10 years ago

All,

My wife and I are building a new house in upstate NY. It is a modular house, and comes with an energy-star rated baseboard hot water system for heat. I want central A/C at the same time, but do not like forced air heat and strongly prefer the nicer/even heat of baseboard hot water.

Would it be weird to have both baseboard heat and central A/C in a new house? We have to make a decision now, because the house has not yet been built at the factory. The cost for getting ductwork is about $2300.

My reasons for wanting the ductwork as stated above are a preference for central A/C. In addition, I also want a whole house humidifier and an air exchanger. I do not want to deal with portable humidifiers and hauling window A/C units every year up and down the attic, and prefer to not mount window units. I have also heard that modern homes are built so tight that indoor air quality can get pretty bad, and it is a good idea to have an air exchanger.

Based on your knowledge and experience, what do you think? Is it going to be worth the extra spending?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator