Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcb78884_gw

Help: Close to final plan, please review

rcb78884
9 years ago

You guys are so helpful in plan reviews and was hoping you could provide some feedback on these plans. We are still tweaking but are close enough to a final state that I wanted to ask for your feedback.

Comments (6)

• rcb78884
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the front elevation

• rcb78884
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second Floor

• rcb78884
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Foundation/Basement plan

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Can't read any of the dimension, so it will be tough for anyone to offer much in the way of advice.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Without the dimensions being readable, we can still see a number of things:

- Are you building this house with a huge budget? I ask because you have a super-complicated footprint; a massive, complicated roof; and plumbing strung from one end of the house to the other. The front elevation is overly ornate and busy -- so much so that I don't like it: too many materials, too many focal points. These are some of the most expensive choices you can make, and they add nothing to the functionality or comfort of the house. Personally, I would simplify, simplify, simplify.

- I see two rooms that would benefit from more windows: The master bedroom could potentially have windows on three sides, which would make it lovely! And the hearth room is an adorable room . . . but I would move the fireplace and built-ins to the garage wall, allowing more windows on the exterior wall.

- The TWO garages are blocking natural light from a great deal of the house. I'd consider making one of these a detached garage -- it'll look better AND make the house more comfortable. I do like the casual entrance from the garage and how it works from both garages. I'd move the garage that sticks out from the front -- the garage is always a house's least-attractive feature. If you have any choice at all, I wouldn't showcase it out front.

- The kitchen and dining area look good, and you have a good connection to the outside.

- The master bath has a great deal of empty, open space in the center. This is just cold, wasted space. I'd shrink this down a bit. You have FIVE doors in that overly compartmentalized bath.

- The upstairs closets both provide only the space of a walk-in. If you were to add only 2' to each one, you would DOUBLE their storage space. It would be space well spent.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

And, your powder room toilet is visible from the great room--many parts of the great room.