Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Flagstone or Blue Stone due to co$t then good option?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 15:35

What are some good but still decorative & durable material to use for a terrace/patio?

Out builder say Blue Stone would cost about $2k more than just aggregated cement.

Can you suggest options & associated prices please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Flagstone or Blue Stone due to co$t then good option?

We just used limestone, but that was pricy too. How about pavers? Pavers are probably a bit more than cement, but are durable and look much nicer. I also used pavers recently and chose the Belgard brand.

o

Our terrace is brick. In our neck of the woods, it is probably cheaper than stone.

o

2K isn't really a big upcharge for stone over concrete as long as it's stone mortared over a concrete base. It's a bargain, in fact.

o

Sounds like a bargain to me too - particularly bluestone which is more expensive in the south than flagstone by quite a bit. Brick is cheaper than both. We did bluestone on the front and brick on the back terrace and the brick turned out fantastic. I may like it better than the bluestone ;)

o

What about stamped concrete?
Is that any cost savings to be had there while still getting visual bang?

o

We just had the same dilemma, except our upcharge was more than yours. We went with stained concrete and then had them cut the stress lines in as a diamond pattern. I am so happy with it - it's concrete but it really doesn't give that off at all. I'm surprised how pleased I am with it! I was expecting to be kind of ho hum about it hah.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here