Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hondurangringo

New home design, would love your input!

hondurangringo
11 years ago

Hi, everybody!

We're about to the point of locking down the design of our new home and would love to get your input. We feel it's a unique design that fits us, but perhaps there's something you can see that might be good to tweak? I'd love to get any of your input. Here are the designs:

Main floor

Basement

Comments (10)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I really like your plan! The bump out window seat in the kitchen is great and the spaces all seem well defined with good flow. The only concern I have is the fireplace placement. It keeps the dining room small, without the ability to extend the table into the living area. While I like the see-through fireplace idea, it might have a better flow if you moved the fireplace to the opposite wall of the living room.

The basement looks great, too. I don't know if you can have storage under a garage (weight considerations) but either way...the overall layout is very nice. Great plan and I look forward to seeing your progress...and hopefully, pictures! :)

• hondurangringo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply! We're actually doing the dining room table from top to bottom rather than side to side, so adding a new life will move it more towards the kitchen. FYI.

Hanging garages (suspended slab) are very common here in Utah where basements are prevalent. The builders we're looking into are familiar with doing them.

Thanks again!

• hondurangringo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, I meant "adding a new leaf," not "adding a new life." :)

• scrapbookheaven
    11 years ago

Your garage is far from your kitchen to bring in groceries. Depending on the size of your family, that could be a pain.

Since your laundry is in the basement, you could put a laundry chute in your master closet and that would reduce part of the workload for you.

With three bedrooms sharing the basement bath, I would rearrange the bathroom into two spaces. The first section would have the double sinks; then a door to the toilet and shower section.

Where in Utah are you building?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

I have put your floor plan in the thread to make it easier for everyone to see.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

The master bath toilet room needs to have an outswing door (for safety).

I would agree with the lower bathroom and maybe arranging it to get privacy to the toilet without blocking usage of the entire room.

I can't figure out if the master has windows on 2 sides or not, but if possible, I'd figure out how to do that if it doesn't.

Otherwise, it seems to be a very functional plan.

• hondurangringo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

scrapbookheaven:

Your garage is far from your kitchen to bring in groceries. Depending on the size of your family, that could be a pain.

Very good point. We took that into consideration and are okay with where it is.

Since your laundry is in the basement, you could put a laundry chute in your master closet and that would reduce part of the workload for you.

We actually do heaven one, though it's hard to see. If you look at the master bedroom closet, at the bottom, just to the right of the bottom center, there's a little box with an X.. that's the chute.

With three bedrooms sharing the basement bath, I would rearrange the bathroom into two spaces. The first section would have the double sinks; then a door to the toilet and shower section.

We're actually considering changing that bathroom to match the one upstairs above it, reducing the space to increase the space in the bedroom just above it.

Where in Utah are you building?

In Lehi.

dekeoboe: Thanks!

kirkhall

I can't figure out if the master has windows on 2 sides or not, but if possible, I'd figure out how to do that if it doesn't.

Above each nightstand there is a window. Also, the bay windows has three windows.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

You may want to plan for an upstairs laundry if this will be your forever house... If it were me, I'd perhaps go ahead and put in the ducting for a dryer and the rough drain for the washer in a stackable unit in the square closet outside your master bedroom door (right there next to the master bath; so plumbing is available).

• hondurangringo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good thoughts, thanks kirkhall!

• scrapbookheaven
    11 years ago

I agree about the main floor laundry. I see two possible locations for it on the main floor. The first is a stackable unit outside the master bedroom. Positives: located where the majority of the first floor laundry will be located. The second location would be in the mudroom hallway near the garage. There I would flip the mudroom cubbies to the other side and place a stackable unit on the end of the cubbies. Positives: It is already a utility space so laundry fits. Also, further from the master would be quieter. Negatives for both: no place to put laundry baskets and no place to fold clothes.

Have fun building...we are just over the hill from you in Herriman!