Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Do I love this house plan? Maybe.

mrspete
9 years ago

Probably no one remembers that I had a house plan about a year ago that I'd proclaimed "just right" -- and y'all had helped it reach that stage -- but after some prodding from my husband, I agreed that a one-story house would be more practical. And tweaking an already-existing plan would be cheaper than starting from scratch . . . so here I am with another plan.

I love the outside of this house -- it's cute and will suit our land. However, I'm not sure I love it. Please weigh in on these thoughts and help me decide.

Here I've posted the exterior with the original floor plan. In the next post I'll put in my mark-up and my thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Comments (15)

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

- We're considering two locations on our land. In one location the back of the house will have Southern exposure (but the road front access isn't as good), the other location would give us the hot, Western sun in the back (but the front of the house would be better situated towards the road).

- What about the unusual garage placement? It sits a bit "back" and the decorative doors tie in to the overall look, but it is a front-garage.

- Add windows to flank the bed in the master bedroom.

- Perhaps extend the master bath forward 2' to allow for a nice big shower and a larger linen closet.

- We will not have a basement, so no need for the stairs. Thus, we've made a rather significant change in the garage entry: Removing the stairs allows the master closet and the pantry/laundry to be larger. I'm thinking of a French door into the pantry/laundry so that 1) some light will come into the hallway and 2) upon walking in the garage door, we'll have a nice sight line to the window in the pantry/laundry. I didn't draw it in, but we have space here for a bench for shoes and hooks for coats.

- I don't like the original plan's angled countertop, and I've narrowed the kitchen to 8'. Our current kitchen is 9.5' wide, and it's just about one good step too wide -- I'm always too far from the other counter. My husband and I both cook, but we never cook together. I spend loads of time prepping, and I'm thinking that the main prep space will be the countertop that's open to the great room. I like to prep in a wide open space, and this space is close to the pantry and close to a person who's sitting in the adjacent booth. We would not do stools at the overhang, but it would be a nice place to set out snacks for a football game, etc. The refrigerator has to get out of the doorway, but I didn't indicate that in the drawing.

- We're making the breakfast area into a booth. Two nice big windows above it. I think this might be the best spot in the house.

- I didn't indicate it on the drawing, but the original plan's pantry, I think, will be just the right size for a desk -- and the door'll allow us to close it off for quiet. Since this is a retirement house, neither of us will be actually "working" much in this small office, but it'll be a place to charge the ipads and house a printer. I'm thinking a small built-in desk and shelves to the ceiling.

- The original great room is adequate for the two of us, but I'd like it to be just a bit more than adequate, so I've extended it. Another reason: I really, really wanted light in this room from two sides, and this allows me to have a single window on the opposite wall. The covered porch will cut down on some light, but we have one now and love it so much.

- I'm less sure about moving the fireplace to the side wall. In the original position on the back wall, it makes such a nice focal point from the front door. However, I like the idea of nice built-ins for the TV and all our other "stuff" on the two sides of the fireplace. I'm thinking the fireplace would look better on the back wall, but the side wall is the more practical placement.

- I've eliminated the entryway closet (no one in the South really needs that) in lieu of a nicer entrance to the front bedroom and a little more space in the secondary bath.

- I don't like the secondary bath in the original floorplan, and I'm thinking that if we bump out the tub (which might become a big, walk-in shower) by just a couple feet, we'll have space for a nicer sink . . . and a good linen closet behind the door. I don't like that behind the door spot -- but I also want the l linen IN the bathroom.

- I'm thinking that both secondary bedrooms will have built-in window seats flanked by bookshelves. The front bedroom, with the very nice windows, will be an adult guest room, while I hope to someday have need of a grandchildren's bedroom in the back.

- Would you leave the front bedroom's windows "as is", or would you go with an arched window instead?

This post was edited by MrsPete on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 15:41

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Hi Mrs. Pete. The arched window is very commonplace nowadays, and is a little cliche'd where we live. Seems we've had one in every home since 1986... so no, not unless you like them a lot.
    Maybe a different treatment since you want to do a window seat. Bump it out slightly... what a great holiday display area that would make.
    Love the dining booth.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Thinking about your hot western exposure and current garage placement...

Have you considered swapping the garage location and the master bedroom suite location? And, how would you feel about that?

Also the front is cute, but if you aren't going to have an upstairs, the windows/dormers that will be there seem like it will be an expensive decoration of the roof.

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

I would keep a tub in the secondary bath for grand babies. :)

There is a thread in the kitchen forum right now about a galley kitchen with some lovely sketches that you may enjoy.

My old house and new temporary one both have living areas that face west and they are very gloomy and depressing in the mornings. This may be different for you since some morning light should come in through your dining room and foyer, but something to consider.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

As you currently have it drawn...

The fridge is visible from the foyer, something I'd try to avoid.

I feel like the kitchen has the potential to feel dark, so careful attention to lighting will be important.

Since it is a house just for the 2 of you, a galley, narrow kitchen will work. However, I also have a narrow kitchen, and I can't wait until I have a wider kitchen/one that has more traffic flow ability. Why? Because, if I were in your kitchen, and someone needed to get a drink out of the fridge, I'd have to lean in/over the sink/stove to let them past me, twice (as an example). Really think about where you will be doing your prep, and who might need to get to somewhere else in the kitchen (the fridge, most commonly). Then, think about if that is easily accessed by the someone else without having to step through you. I suggest right now, the answer is "no" in this layout of this kitchen.

What will your secondary floor coverings be? If not hardwood, consider that most carpets/floorings come in 12 foot rolls. These rooms will both require at least one seam, and probably extra sq ft purchased and wasted for proper installation.

The more I look at your master hall, the more I like the idea of swapping the garage and master suite. I wouldn't want to walk down the back (dark) hall past the garage entry to get to my bedroom. It doesn't seem cozy, to me, anyway. Do you have certain views out the back that you are trying to make available to the master?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Mrs Pete- Just heading out the door...but thought I'd post a quick plan. I'll check back later to see if it's helpful :)

Had a few minutes...so I thought I'd add a few more details. Like a swing on the porch and some plants! LOL {{gwi:1458438}}From Kitchen plans

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 12:52

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

Check out SunCalc.net to see where the sun will be.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MusicGirl, yeah, I think the windows it shows are the best option.

Kirkhall, I like the location of the master bedroom, but I agree that the dormers are expensive . . . If you're not using them for actual windows! But I think they're a large part of why I like the exterior so much.

Your comments on the kitchen mirror what I've been thinking. I don't know why anyone would place the refrigerator in a doorway as the original plan shows. I'm thinking the 'fridge should bump towards the kitchen, and we'd put in a floor-to-ceiling glass-front dish storage area (or a butler's pantry) between the refrigerator and what the original plan calls a pantry. I think the lighting would need to be carefully planned, but with all the windows just steps away, it'd be nice.

You're right about the flooring, but I don't want any carpet.

Cas, I will look for that thread!

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming. I'm still not quite sure I love this house.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

When a garage is inserted into a plan I assume it is because the lot is not wide enough to put it at the side of the house and allow the kitchen to have windows. Is that the case here?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Or, rather than have the storage between the garage and back hall...you could put stairs there to a bonus room and or/storage. That would make use of your dormers, but you wouldn't have to go upstairs to access the bedrooms.

Great place for the grandkids to play...especially when it rains! :) {{gwi:1458439}}From Kitchen plans

And Renovator does make a good point...more light in the kitchen is always nice. Would something like this between the dining room and living room/kitchen area work? {{gwi:1458440}}From Kitchen tables and vintage kitchens

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 13:38

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Hi Mrs Pete-love the exterior, so quaint! I just thought I'd mention the door to the master bath in proximity to the bed. Ours appears to be similar and it is one thing I'd change about our new build. I would try to get the entrance more toward the foot of the bed and not the head. I wake up when dh uses the bathroom in the middle of the night, even with the door shut the sink sounds so loud because it's too close. It may not bother you but I thought I would mention it. I am sure I will get used to it eventually but if I could I would change it. :)

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My lot is big enough to build a Walmart . . . and a Target . . . and a Home Depot . . . but with all that, we'd only be able to squeeze in maybe two fast food places! No, we're not short on space.

But I like the exterior, though the garage faces forward -- perhaps it's as Autumn says, It's quaint. The exterior looks better in the colored picture -- it's kind of a pale gray, which I like very much. I like that the garage is "set back". I don't like the idea of bringing it forward because it creates kind of a "cave" on the front porch.

I agree that the lack of a window in the kitchen is the plan's greatest weakness, but I was thinking that with light coming in from the two windows over the booth, which is in the kitchen, that it would be bright enough.

I love the pass-through picture, and I was imagining something similar . . . but between the kitchen and the great room.

As for the bathroom door's proximity to the bed, right now I HATE our bathroom's location. It's at the foot of the bed, straight down from my side . . . and the light bothers me. But noise, no, I could sleep through that all night long. As could my husband. I've been paying close attention to where the light will fall though.

I still don't know whether I like it "enough".

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Have you looked at plans, with the living areas on one end? That gives you so much more light! You can still have plenty of privacy with closets, laundry, bathrooms, etc.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Or maybe something with a little different layout...and a few angles. If you don't need the stairs, the dining area could be larger.

Also, the stairs in the garage could disappear, leaving you room for a second walk-in closet with access to the laundry. The master bedroom entrance could be on that diagonal corner. Just a few ideas :) {{gwi:1458441}}From Kitchen plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to eplans

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 14:20

• musicgal
    9 years ago

MrsPete- Your kitchen is house centered as is mine. I put two solatubes in to flood the area with natural light.