Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Grids in only some windows?

tammyte
10 years ago

We picked up 7 or 8 windows for a good price from my cousin that retired from being a builder. They are the quality we would have chosen but do not have grids. The more I look at the elevations I think I would prefer grids, at least in the front.

Would that be strange to have grids in the front windows but not the sides or back?

FWIW, the house will sit on 90 acres about 1/4 mile off the road. When you drive up you can see the front and the garage side. No one would see the other side or the back unless they walked around the house. You can't possibly see either side or the back from a road anywhere.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have grids on the windows that are visible from the road and different ones on the back wall, so it certainly can be done.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

It's fairly normal around where I live to save money.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• donnagwd
    10 years ago

Same here, we have grids on the front windows for a more traditional facade, and no grids on the back windows where we have a fabulous view.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our views will be lovely but I imagine we will mostly use the back rooms for sitting and just looking out. That sounds great!

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgil - I will admit the budget is probably not as high as I would prefer. ;-) I didn't know I could order the grids separately though. Thanks!

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

We had worked on our windows & budget for "ever." DH was definite that he wanted the grids & I did not. He doesn't have the same feelings about them as I do....but, they really do bother me from the inside looking out. My eyes are drawn to "lines" and not our beautiful views. I understand this is strange for others to understand, but I don't like looking out them. On the same token DH doesn't like most exteriors without them. I was trying to find a compromise & we did just that.

We went with the grids just on the front elevation & we are thrilled with our choice. It was an easier compromise for DH when he saw the $ in savings for not having them. I still don't like looking out the ones in the front, luckily our views & main living areas are to the back and sides. And DH says how happy he is with them on the front exterior, elevation.

I don't worry if someone wants to feel my home is "cheapened" as a result. I can't imagine any of our friends or family thinking that. If they do, I really don't mind. We love our home & we are not trying to impress anyone with our choices. We just want to love it for us. With that said...i understand that some need to keep the ole' resale factor of more importance & some people may I suppose think it has cheapened the home they are considering to buy.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

It's done here on a regular basis. Grids on front and none on back. Not for saving money but to enhance the view out to the back yard.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much. I have those same thoughts of liking them for the exterior but not the view from inside. :)

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

If it helps, in our new home we only have grids on our front windows. The rear windows have great views and I didn't want to obscure them!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Very common where I am at also. In fact it's rare to find a house with grids in the front AND in the back/sides.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I think it depends on the style of your house, or your strictness of adhering to your style. My home would have looked, frankly, odd if the windows on all four sides weren't consistent. Not only from the exterior, but also from the interior. We have a traditionally styled home, and we were trying to go for that "old house, been there forever, vibe." Big, solid panes of glass look like contemporary or perhaps transitional style to me.

So I would just caution you to keep the big picture in mind. Think about if there are any areas inside the house where you can see both types of windows at the same time...would that bother you? What would it do to your interior design? Just a few things to ponder! :)

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Our front has grids and our back does not...we live on a huge lake and grids disrupt the view. We have transoms on the back too...to have higher windows, better views...

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

The responses here indicate that one can get any answer to a question.

Window "grids", actually muntins, are characteristic of historic window styles when glazing was manufactured only in small pieces, and it took multiple pieces of glass (held in place by the muntins), to make a larger window.

Multiple adjacent windows were held in place by mullions.

If one has an architecturally significant house, especially one of a traditional architectural style, windows play a very important role in the exterior character and authenticity. Modern houses, on the other hand, tend to have a much different and more "modern" character, due in part to the ability to manufacture much larger glazing panels.

Thus, the choice of windows is directly related to the architectural character and authenticity of the style. If the style has no architectural history or authenticity is sacrificed for convenience, then any type of window glazing will keep the weather and bugs out if it's installed correctly.

I guess it all depends on what one considers important.

• HU-975432076
    3 years ago

We’re planning to do the same thing, grids only in the front. But 2 bedrooms will have one grid window and one without. Will that look odd??

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Yes it will. And this thread is six years old.

• HU-975432076
    3 years ago

I know, just happened to find it on my browser while searching the topic.... thank you for the response!

• Jenny Sliger
    3 years ago

We are building are choosing to forego the muntins on the back of the house as there is a great view and figure that would be one less thing in the way.

• HU-808992838
    3 years ago

Our house comes with mullions on the front, but not on the back, but I am getting a 4-panel sliding glass door that would go out to the sunroom, and I really want mullions on these, but do not know if it will look strange with the kitchen windows without mullions? Please let me know your thoughts?

• Jenny Sliger
    3 years ago

our is the same, with no grids on back - mainly not to obstruct the view. Since it's only going into the sunroom, I would think you could do whichever you choose, as it won't look different on the external view if none of the other rear facing window have mullions.