Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

What requires an architect's approval for changes?

njbuilding143
9 years ago

Our architect was/is a great guy and very informative but after going over the plans with the builder I noticed some things that didn't go with our discussions and I was curious what kind of changes will require the architect to get involved.. I tried to call him up to ask him directly but he is out of the office for the week.. Anyway.. While discussing and drawing up plans I told the architect that we were building on a budget and would like to make cost effective decisions.. I thought he was on board because during various instances he told us what things would be cost effective.. So we have been going over the plans with various builders and some of the things they pointed out that they said would be big expenses was the foundation type and siding. The architect put in a poured concrete foundation which two builders have said could add up to 30-40k for the house versus doing a block foundation.. A second thing that the architect put was Hardie Plank Siding on the house which one of the builders said could add about 30k to the price.. I am going to take a guess that the foundation style will need the architects approval but what about things like the siding? For the roof he put on the plans "Timberline or equivalent" but siding he just put hardie plank... Just between the siding and foundation style we have added 60-70k .. The builders all said that both those choices are the better way of doing things, however when trying to keep to budget they are an added expense.. They are going to quote doing things exactly as the plans are drawn but now have me worried that I will be paying for changes to the plans.. The architect also put bidding allowances and did what he called a "basic" wiring diagram.. He said that he does a basic diagram and doesn't go in depth because once you walk through the house you will then decide how many lights and switches you want and where you want them placed.. But wouldn't the plans have to show the new lights and placement? Just a little confused and trying to get some insight..

Comments (2)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Those cost reductions are large. What is the floor area of the house, the budget and general location?

Is there a full basement? What will be in it? What is the ground water situation? What is the alternative siding?

Your architect will approve whatever you tell him to approve unless it is unsafe or otherwise inappropriate. He's acting as your agent.

It is usually wise to spec the quantity and model of light fixtures by room so the bids will be comparable. However allowances can work too but you won't get the work in the contract price and might be at the mercy of the winning bidder's sub. That goes for all allowances. They are really little cost plus contracts.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator - Here are some of the answers to your questions:

1 - The basement square footage is 1394 and the garage is 668 - Basement will be full unfinished basement as we plan to finish it later on.. The basement is set for 9ft unfinished ceilings so that when we do finish we will have 8ft ceilings.. Once it is fully finished we plan to have a media room and general area for entertaining and/or kids play room.. The basement will also house a utility room, laundry room, and large media / structured wiring closet...

Architect specified the following with regards to foundation: 10" pured concrete w/ vert #4 bars 32"OC #4 horizontal bars at 8 above footing, midpoint and 8" below top of wall ----- 4" concrete slab on 6 mil vapor barrier on 4" gravel base ------ 22"x12" poured concrete footing w/ 3#4 Bars. ground house elec to rebar

2 - Budget is 400-450k

3 - Location is New Jersey

4 - Not sure on ground water

5 - Both builders I have spoken to regarding the hardie plank had said it would be a cost effective move to do regular vinyl siding.. The current plan calls for hardie plank around the entire home with the exception of a portion of the front which will be stone.. I included a picture of the front below..

Also two of the builders gave two options.. They said they could include an allowance for fixtures, appliances, etc or we could just buy whatever we want and they will install.. They have said that the second option is a better way to go because it avoids conflict.. For example they give 10k allowance but we decide to pick 30k in fixtures and now it looks like they are asking for more money.. So they said they prefer to just have it in the contract as buyer will supply and they will install or make a list of every exact fixture with model number and they will price the units out like that and include in contract..

One of the builders I actually got a basic quote from a few months back when we asked to price out an "off the internet floor plan" that we were thinking of building.. That home was 2530 square feet of finished space and we were quoted at 345k.. But that did not include hardie plank and all that.. The house as planned now is 2830 square feet not including basement or garage space.. I have been told that a good way to estimate is to take the finished space and multiply by 150 which would put this house at about 425k..