Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple_gw

Installing Slate Tile over a living space. ( Exterior Deck )

johnfrwhipple
13 years ago

I have had a meeting with Bob Weins (Schulter) here in Vancouver about the best way to waterproof my exterior deck. The deck measures 14' x 20' and is covered by my master bedroom deck. The deck is exposed to driving rain and snow. and faces South South West.

Bob has suggested I use their Schulter Ditra Drain installed over Jiffy Seal #1460. The Jiffy Seal #1460 is the primary waterproofing product and the Ditra Drain gives me uncoupling properties and drainage under the tile install.

Who has installed this two part system?

Any advice you guys can give me?

Ditra drain looks like upside down Ditra and I'm told can be installed right on top of the Jiffy Seal.

Who has tried this system and who knows of a better way to do this - if there is one?

Thanks,

John Whipple

Comments (7)

• johnfrwhipple
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Has anyone tried it?

JW

• johnfrwhipple
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am brining this sheet down this morning to City Hall to get an OK.

http://www.protectowrap.com/documents/pdf/Spec_Data_Jiffy_Seal_140-60.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Jiffy Seal Spec Sheet

• johnfrwhipple
    Original Author
    13 years ago

looks like I posted the wrong number up first.

I searched Protecto's site and found the specs above. I'll confirm that this is the right product as well.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL - this is an old discussion I started years ago. In the end I bought Ditra Drain and Jiffy Seal 140/60. The more I studied the system the more I hated it. So I still have lots of both products and in the end tiled my deck with Slate but used NobleDeck as my primary waterproofing system.

NobleDeck is 40 mil thick and comes in a 6' wide roll. I will be doing another deck the same in a few months time.

Felt good about that choice. Still do years later.

JW

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

I'm looking forward to another exterior deck build. The new deck is also in North Vancouver and has been sitting ideal for a long time. Over the winter the deck was protected with some liquid waterproofing and some tarps. The new deck will see some large reclaimed beams.

Not sure if a slate tile or a porcelain tile will be used for this next build.

To make things strong we designed the framing to be double 2"x10" floor joists set on 12" centers. Next came not one but two layers of 5/8" plywood.

The seams in the plywood got sealed with some silicone prior to protecting the wood with some liquid waterproofing.

That was the first coat. My client later added two more coats. When I did my deck I also ran out of time before FALL snuck in so I waterproofed temporary my deck with Laticrete's Hydro Ban.

The deck will get topped like my deck with 1/2" cement board and then NobleDeck, but only after the roof, posts, beams and side walls are built.

Designing the curved linear drain at the decks end will be the tricky thing.....

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

So the large timber work is going in and by now the roof is installed. The client has chosen a granite tile for the floor in a 12"x12" size. Now I'm waiting for him to decide on the railing detail across the front. The NTCA just sent out a Webinar training course on Exterior Tile Installations. The info for this is below:

Strategies for Exterior Tile Installations

Meeting Description:

Learn about the key strategies to a successful exterior tile installation. Understand the importance of careful tile selection. Gain the groundwork necessary for substrate preparation and proper mortar and grout selection. Not only does this webinar walk you through the importance of planning, it also sets effective approaches for exterior installations to ensure a well-executed project.

Meeting takes place online

• Date:Wed, Jul 22, 2015
    • Time:01:00 PM CDT
    • Duration:1 hour
    • Host(s):Jim Olson- GOLD
    • Presenter: Tom Plaskota

Tom Plaskota,Technical Support Manager for H.B. Fuller Construction Products, Inc. develops and markets technologically advanced solutions that add value to commercial, industrial and residential construction. Tom is responsible for managing the field support team that develops and communicates technical information and provides technical service.

He is actively involved with the National Tile Contractors Association and is a former Industry Director for the Chicago Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute.

Tom has over 30 years of experience with construction methods, testing and materials. He is certified as a Construction Documents Technologist (CDT) and holds a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Valparaiso University.

Sign Up here: https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/registrations/new?cid=q7aasu5s6gfp