Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with elevation

Posted by loafer80 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:15

We are finalizing our elevation and pushing for permit. Would like some comments and help from the forum to help us. We are not totally happy with the 2nd level rear elevation, first photo, something is not working.
We originally wanted a shed roof on the 2nd level coming off, now it is shown as a hip roof. Would adding another shed roof be too many and similar? Since we have a big gable coming off the peak already and a small shed canopy over the patio.
The rear right window on 2nd level is offset on the outside, because its centred on the bath inside. If centred, the window would be between the shower and bath, what would be a good solution?
Also, the triple window on the west elevation, first photo, is where the stair is. Deciding on this window layout or the common one big window, something like a 6ft wide x 8 ft high. The stair is an open space with double height ceiling.
Any other feedbacks would be helpful.
Thanks!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with elevation

I think the north elevation currently looks awkward at the roofline. I think the south elevation is more pleasant looking.
The rooflines on the north fight with each other. I would try the large dormer with a shed and consider eliminating the box bay, because it is a bay within a dormer.

o
RE: Help with elevation

Thanks palimpsest, those a great suggestion and observation. Ya I think taking out the box window and changing to a large shed dormer would simplify and clean the overall look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here