Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! What *M U S T* you have before Certificate of Occupancy ?

Posted by angela12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 14:15

What is the minimum you MUST have before CO ?
I assume all electrical must be done and HVAC. All plumbing ? Which appliances ? Door hardware ? Closet rods/shelving ?

These things I would think do not have to be done before CO ? ... final coat interior paint, all exterior paint(?), hardwood floors or carpet, clean up, bath towel bars. Anything else that can wait ?

At our location, I think gutters and landscaping DO have to be done for CO. I am also pretty sure that the driveway has to be done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! What *M U S T* you have before Certificate of Occupan

I'm not sure its 100% universal, but my understanding is that finished flooring needs to be in, a coat of paint on the walls, handrails, all plumbing needs to be finished, same with electric.

o

It is not universal ... call your city, county or wherever you got the building permits from.

o

Call the AHJ.

They should be able to direct you how to get he list.

o

What you "must" have are building code controlled elements properly installed and in working order. Anything in addition to that would be up to the code official but safety should be the primary concern.

o

Totally varies by place. We were required to have finish electrical (but a cover plate over anything would count). Needed one sink and toilet. I think that was it. Oh, smoke alarms. They bank required the house to be basically done, though (95% I think). So we had the CO, but hadn't closed on the mortgage.

o

"What you "must" have are building code controlled elements properly installed and in working order. Anything in addition to that would be up to the code official but safety should be the primary concern."

It completely depends on local laws.

Most places require water, sewer, and electricity.
In cold climates they normally include heat, but there are hot climates with no requirement to even have heat and AC is rarely required.

My BIL had to have window screens installed on every operable window.
Leaning on the wall under the window was not adequate (despite the house having installed and operational AC).

Some places make it hard to get a CO with anything above grade unfinished, while others are content to keep the building permit active (not for free) while spaces are finished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here