Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcbob

House Plan Opinions and Help needed

rcbob
9 years ago

We are preparing to sharing the following plan with a designer/draftsman. We pieced together this plan from features we liked from going to open houses and searching plans on the Internet. Our goal is to keep square footage to under 2550.

My wife and I do not have children but both have large families so entertaining space is important for gatherings. We are planning to live out the rest of our lives in this home so we want everything on the main floor (unfinished basement) with wheelchair access (wide hallways and doors).

We will be building on a family farm with lakefront property. We want to highlight the views of the lake from the back. We want the entry to center to big window of Great Room and to have a sunroom with 3-sides of windows.

Additionally, these features are important to us: open concept, large pantry, large walk-in closet, breakfast nook/booth for everyday dining, and oversized/ 2 1/2 car garage.

We are looking for fresh eyes and welcome your suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger Image of House Plan

This post was edited by rcbob on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:22

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

There isn't a lot to comment on yet since there aren't specific placements of appliances, windows, etc that can really change the usability of a space (in particular, the kitchen).

But, the flow is okay.

The house will be expensive to build, as is, because of the number of corners. It will cost more than a typical 2500sq ft house... If you set the size because budget, this will be more expensive than perhaps you were aiming for.

The kitchen has the possibility of being dark, as does the GR, since you'll have a covered porch across the back. BTW-which direction (N/S/E/W) does the back face?

The laundry room has an issue with that little space to the right of the sink where the closet is. I'd consider making that entire area to the right of the sink a walk-in type closet, rather than trying to make it open. But, you might need it open, if there will be window symmetry across there.

You prioritized a large pantry, and boy, do you have one. BUT, it is quite square. Ask yourself if, when the shelving/storage that you want are in that space, if you will have any more storage than a pantry 2/3 that width (or, will it just be a big room with a lot of central floorspace?)

HTHs.

• rcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sun Study

• rcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

House Location on Property

• renovator8
    9 years ago

To me it seems that there are too many unnecessary twists, turns, angles and little corners in the house that erode the "open plan" concept. This is the kind of thing you see on internet plans drawn by inexperienced designers on computers. They look like renovation plans because they were adapted from another plan. I'm not saying these people don't have skills but it's extremely difficult to design well on a computer even if you are very experienced.

I recommend tracing the plan freehand and trying to make the spaces fit together so the corridors are shorter with fewer angles and spaces are well defined and feel more open. Corners should only be where they are really needed or where they add to the definition of spaces.

If the stair goes down to the basement you have allowed only 7 ft of horizontal run beyond the door swing and that will not allow adequate head clearance. You could swing the door into the corridor but I don't recommend it.

I agree that the pantry is too square and it makes it difficult to enter the guest bedroom. Here again there are too many unnecessary corners. These corners are awkward and expensive.

Why would there be a door on the Mud Room closet but not on the Mud Room? Is the house on the same level as the garage? Normally the garage floor slopes toward the overhead doors and there is at least one step if not several up into the house.

How would you use the front hall closet with such a small door?

The space for a toilet should be at least 30" wide and with a 19" clear space in front of the bowl.

Do you plan to eat all of your meals in a 6 ft deep booth?

You need to show furniture in the rooms. The fireplace seems like an after thought instead of an organizing feature in the Great Room. Would you place furniture facing away from the view in order to face the fireplace ⦠or the reverse?

• rcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback Renovator8. We definitely have tried to piece together parts of homes that we liked which has led to more turns. Are there specific corners/turns that are particularly expensive?

We've had a lot of discussions about the fireplace. My husband would just as soon not have one and I can't imagine not having one. We don't want it centered on the side wall because that's where we plan to put TV at eye level (not over fireplace) and it seems like it throws off the symmetry of the grand window if on the back wall. We have considered putting it in Sunroom instead. We'll put sectional or couch/love seat facing the side wall and front of the house.

We know the eating booth presents some issues- It fits best in corner and complicates the exit to the deck. When we dine out we always ask for a booth since its more comfortable and have envisioned that for eating most meals at home. We aren't very formal and when we plan to have tables on deck and Sunroom for when we entertain.

We'll definitely consider your input on the stairs, bathroom, and closets in tweaking our draft before sharing with designer/draftsman.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

rcbob- you do have a lot of angles and corners that might be able to be simplified, but I hope you get to keep your booth. I am a booth fan:-)

• rcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a updated drawing based on some on the comments so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1457383}}

• snookers1999
    9 years ago

So it looks like from your updated drawing that you still have the powder room, just bigger, correct?

If this is the case and you still have that half bath, I'm assuming the bathroom next to the guest bedroom is only for guest that will be staying with you. Will anyone else be using that bathroom besides guests? If only guests will be using it, wouldn't it make sense to add a door in the hallway right before you get to the guest bathroom that can be closed to give your guest more privacy when going from the bedroom to the bathroom, say in the middle of the night, or after they shower.

Just an idea. I like your floor plan overall though.

• rcbob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snookers1999

Yes, that is correct we expanded and added a small closet in the PR.

If the size is available to allow a 2nd door with direct access to the Guest Bedroom we would like to add it

If we have company over which can be over 40 people we would like them to have a 2nd bathroom as an option.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations