Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sstein_gw

Exterior color help!

sstein
11 years ago

We are just about to break ground on our new home and cannot decide between taupe and grey for our exterior, which will be a combination of shake and stone. We are torn because we like grey, but the neighborhood is all tones of brown and we are having a really hard time finding a stone that goes well with grey. If anyone has a grey house with stone, I would love to see some pictures! Also, should we follow the brown theme in the neighborhood or is it okay to pick a different color? I should also point out that there is a combination of house exteriors in the development - some are stone and shake and some are all brick. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We went with a taupe with our stone, not gray and not brown....though the bluestone walkway is gray.

I would think a little variation in the neighborhood would be welcome.

• minneapolisite
    11 years ago

Our builder had a sample of dark (almost black) stacked fieldstone that I thought looked REALLY sharp. According to our designer, stone trends come from Canada and dark stone is trending up there these days.

We were originally leaning toward light grey siding/shakes because our house was going to be the smallest one in the neighborhood and a lighter color would make it appear bigger. Here are some pictures from my inspiration board on Pinterest:

Red/orange stones provide a nice contrast to dove gray siding
    {{gwi:1457274}}

{{gwi:1457275}}

Natural stones in mixture of colors:
    {{gwi:1457276}}

{{gwi:1457277}}

(I would go with orange/red tones if it were my house!)

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

We did a sort of gray/greige on our house - no stone. We do have a fieldstone fireplace (culled out some oranges and blacks) and mailbox and bluestone walkway and driveway apron. The colors look great together - our stone looks like the second picture from the bottom.

• sstein
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the pics and suggestions! It's such a hard decision because we really like both colors a lot and if the neighborhood had some grey homes, we'd pick grey without hesitation. My husband is leaning towards grey because our neighbor has a very similar exterior and his house is beige, so he thinks grey would differentiate us more so from his home. I just don't know how I feel about going against the brown theme...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

It's your house and you should go with what YOU like...not worry about the color of the neighbor's houses. Maybe if you were going with shocking pink or lavender, you might have to worry, but grey vs taupe? No one will complain. Both can be lovely,

• jwalters
    11 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh-LOVE LOVE your home's exterior. PLEASE-any info on type of stone/grout/grout technique/siding and roof color/metal roof color would greatly appreciated! We are building and have to adhere to a 60/40 stone hardiplank ratio-we are struggling and this looks perfect!!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!