Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

How much upcharge for subway tile sounds reasonable?

Mom23Es
11 years ago

Our builder has included level D tile for our master bath walls, whatever that means. We wanted to do basic ceramic white 3x6" subway tile instead. Apparently this is an upgrade to level G. Today we got word that just switching tiles (no chair rail, accent tiles, or shower niche) will cost over $800 more. I'm shocked. I didn't think basic subway tile was expensive like this. The shower is 4'x6' and the tub is 72". The tile does not go to the ceiling in the shower and only goes 16" above the tub deck. I don't think this is a giant area that we're talking about.

Does this sound reasonable? I feel like I'm being charged too much. :-(

Comments (10)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Tough to say as we have no idea what level D and level G means or costs.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Subway tile is cheap if you mean DalTile or American Olean basic stuff. About as cheap as you can get. Maybe there is an increased labor charge?

• nini804
    11 years ago

Ugh, don't get me started about tile upcharges! We adore our builder and felt most pricing and subs were fair, but OMG, the tile guy! In our house we have tile in 4 baths (1/2 bath is wood), mud room, and on our backsplash. I was extremely boring (I thought) with my tile. Plain, white subways for tub/shower combo walls for secondary baths (I did go hog wild and do niches for all), plain white subways on master shower walls (again, another "extravagant" niche), plain white subways for backsplash (with a herringbone design and Lord forbid chair rail tiles framing it,) completely basic, slate -look 12x12 ceramic tiles in son's bath and mudroom. I put my foot down and got a pretty, vintage-looking mosaic for my master (again, though, just ceramic, not marble.) yeah, apparently my basic choices are insanely labor-intensive...it came out several thousand over budget for that allowance. I was p-oed. I was a very careful buildee...I knew all of my allowances, and I knew which ones I wanted to go over on and which ones I didn't. I was fine with plain ceramics because I had pretty marble, walnut, and granite c-tops in each of these rooms.

I made the tiler explain to me why subway costs more, labor-wise than 4x4 tiles, and why mosaics cost more as well. There was a lot of "um-ing" and "throat-clearing" and finally gave me sone gobbley-gook that I can't even remember. I honestly think most of our builder's clients don't question this stuff. We managed to get him to come down a little, but I had to give up my idea of a pretty hex for dd's and guest's bath.

I don't know if I answered your question...but I would MAKE them explain the cost to you, and shop around if need be. We told our builder we were unhappy with the tiler and would like to find another, more competitive. They knew that we weren't gullible to fall for the "we don't trust the quality of other sub's work" line. Right after that was when the price came down.

Sorry so long...this is still an annoyance to me every time I look at dd's 12x12 white floor tiles. Next bonus, it is coming out!

• sweeby
    11 years ago

The first part of your sentence:
    "plain white subways for backsplash (with a herringbone design and Lord forbid chair rail tiles framing it,)"
    doesn't match the second part...
    "completely basic,"

• nini804
    11 years ago

Lol, I just meant the actual tile wasn't anything special...you know, not glass or marble. I freely admit the area behind the range was fancier than just continuing the running bond...in my naivite I didn't realize laying a small herringbone pattern in tile was akin to painting the Sistine Chapel for our tiler. ;) Our dear masons didn't have a lick of trouble doing an almost identical herringbone area in brick on our outdoor fireplace!

• robin0919
    11 years ago

There 'should' be NO more labor installing subway tile from 4" tile, only the dif in tile price! Seems like the GC is using this as a change order and trying to make extra monies!

• robin0919
    11 years ago

I meant to add also, call several tile companies in your area and ask if there is an upcharge in labor for subway tile. Where are you? I wish everyone here would put in their home page what state they are in. Prices in the NE and in CA are considerablly higher than the SE and midwest.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Installation is more costly for subway than 4 x 4. Doing a stacked tile install is faster and easier than an offset/running bond. It's not (necessarily) the cost of the tile, it's labor.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robin- I'm in Ohio. This is definitely not a high-cost area. ;)

Dlm2000- that's what I've been told. It's more expensive to do the running board pattern. How much more money should I expect to pay to have them do the running board pattern?

I'm going to confirm with the designer that we're really talking about the very cheap white ceramic subway tile. I hope this is a mistake because I just can't justify the cost. Not for the master bath. In my dream bath we would have marble, but we can't afford that right now. If it really costs this much, I'd rather skimp now and upgrade to the really good stuff later. KWIM?