Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Help with closet doors please

tammyte
10 years ago

I just realized there may be a problem with the master bedroom closet doors. I had them as pocket doors since it was in a hallway. To get the space needed for them to open all the way the doors need to be offset instead of centered. Won't the clothes on hangers stick out into the doorway on the side where the door is closer to the wall?

What would you do here?

-No doors
-2 smaller double doors
-leave it
-hinged door swinging into the closet
-something else??

Comments (10)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Generally, clothes on hangars need 2'-0 depth. You don't give any dimensions, so you can do the math yourself. Clearance between two rows of clothes should be around 4'-0 minimum for comfortable clearance.

Do you need doors?

Good luck on your project.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You could go without doors...
    Or, you could make the "short" wall be for non-hanging type closet space--shelves, hooks, shoe racks, etc. Most closets don't actually work well the way you have them drawn--with 3 sides with a clothes bar.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I didn't realize the dimensions didn't show up. Sorry about that.

The closets are 6' wide. I don't plan to have the 3rd rod in back. I don't know why she drew it that way.

Of course I would love for them to be wider but space is tight and my husband measured and said he liked 6' wide. Hmmm my in laws have closets similar to these. Maybe I should measure theirs.

I like the idea of using the short wall for something else! Thanks. :)

• pps7
    10 years ago

If they are only 6' wide then i would do an L shaped rod and have in swing doors against one of the walls. There is really not enough room to have hanging on both sides with 6'. You can put a full length mirror, or hooks or shoe storage on the wall.

This post was edited by pps7 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:56

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Though if they are inswing doors, you really won't have a very usable wall for a mirror... the door will be in the way.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I would go with no doors.

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

We did no doors at a previous home. I added a curtain and a tie back hook. It made getting ready easy and I liked to close them if company visited or pets.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

I'd go with an L shaped rods, great built-ins on the other wall, and pretty bi-fold doors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My closet is 5' wide as an interior dimension and it works fine. I have a shelf unit/cubbies and then hanging space top and bottom on one side with shelves above. On the opposite wall, I have shelves and cubbies and a bench seat that is 16" deep. I have hooks for scarves and jewelry on the back wall, hooks for more jewelry over the bench and I have hooks behind the door for robes and such.

You might also consider where you want to put that doorway to the bath. It isn't necessary that both closets be the same size. One could be wider than the other. You might be able to push the wall of the right closet another foot into the bathroom to make it deeper. A foot in a closet is significant.

Either way, I'd leave the doors off as it is private space. I would probably put a door between the bedroom and the closet so if someone gets up early and wants to get dressed, they won't disturb the other as much.

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

I saw this home once that the closet was position like yours, however only on one side. They had no doors and a wide opening that was arched. It was organized with an island and rods and shelves. It looked great without the door, however, it was a more southwestern architecture and fit in with the house.