Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happymommy_gw

Width of staircases

happymommy
15 years ago

Following up on my other post, how wide is a staircase standard and for those of you who did wider than normal staircases, how wide are they? Pics would be appreciated! TIA!

Comments (13)

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Code requires 36 inches. Because some authorities have apparently declared that the handrail spacing must be 36 inches, a lot of designs have a 39 inch wide stairwell.

Personally, I think it is too narrow.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Happymommy, this is another issue I fought over with the architect. He was for narrower on this also and called it wasted space. I can't remember how wide we ended up and I won't be able to measure for about a week but two people can walk down side by side and I think it is 48". One good point the architect made was about the code for wide stairs requiring a railing on both sides if it was over a certain width. We said to design it so it wouldn't need the second railing. You may want to check your code on this issue if you only want a railing on one side.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Ours is 42" wide. Also important for safety -- no long, straight run of stairs without a landing, or two! That's especially important in a house with high ceilings.

• dragonfly_
    15 years ago

Our stairs are 42" wide. The pool table went up the stairs without a problem. We also have 36" doors throughout our home.

• msm859
    15 years ago

36" is too narrow. I have 42" wide both front and back stairs. hallway is 49" wide, bedrooms 36" wide doors -- except master with double 30"

• happymommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pic, dragonfly. Your staircase is gorgeous. The width is perfect! Thanks.

• jackbutler5555
    8 years ago

The maximum standard width of our interior doors is 36 inches. If furniture is a main consideration in determining the width of a staircase, is there any reason to consider more than 36 inches?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    8 years ago

Stairs, doors and corridors are subject to building code standards based on usage and exiting. These, however, are minimum standards and don't consider living style, accessibility, frequency and volume of use, movement of large household goods, etc. Like everything else in the design of a home the answer for the right width is ... it depends!

• jackbutler5555
    8 years ago

Thanks, Virgil.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

I only have one stairway..to my basement. It is 4 ft. Handrail only on one side, has never been an issue. May not have been a code ten yrs ago to have two.

I like my wide stairway..do not consider it a waste of space. Just like a nice foyer is not a waste of space.

• jackbutler5555
    8 years ago

I agree. A well crafted staircase is like a fine piece of furniture that adds beauty to a home. And I tried to achieve that with the other two staircases in the home. But this particular staircase is in a tight spot and space matters.

• Ping Lady
    8 years ago

Ours are 4'6" and we love it even though our architect considered it a waste of space.