Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Small things that get forgotten, cont'd!...

kirkhall
10 years ago

Our favorite "Small things that get Forgotten" thread has reached the upper limit for posts. The original post can be found at the link below.

There were many, many helpful practical bits about "small forgotten things" for building or remodeling your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: original Small Things thread

Comments (4)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

That original thread was great. I went through and made lots of notes! A couple things I have in my "things to remember" files that I don't think are in that thread:

- Leaf gutter guards
    - Outlets for Christmas lights were mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned placing them near the staircase for greenery with little white lights.
    - Include a bread drawer in the kitchen
    - Plan space for your cookbooks in the kitchen (or pantry)
    - Place nightstand outlets at the TOP of the nightstand; it's easier to use them for charging phones.
    - Four plugs on the side of each bed.
    - Use plywood behind walls that're likely to hold towel bars.

And a final thought: If we did everything suggested, it'd double the price of the house. Consider what you'd really use vs. what's just "more".

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Thanks for reminding us of the thread again Kirkhall.
    Lot of are great suggestion and we included some of them.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

I read the other thread(s) on this ages ago but need to go through them again. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Don't forget blocking and to take pictures of it before the drywall goes up. Blocking for towel bars and t.p holders, any heavy artwork or clocks you might hang, future grab bars if you aren't planning to install now. Also helpful for upper cabinets or a large kitchen hood because framing might not work out perfectly. Never hurts to think about how you'll hang drapery hardware down the road - even if you hate the idea now, styles change and your minimal look might get fluffed out a bit. Closets usually work out ok with framing but if you have a specific system and layout in mind, it only takes minutes to throw some scrap wood blocking in to support it.

• sail_away
    7 years ago

I'm with DLM regarding the blocking. We took pictures of our blocking, also, with a tape measure extended next to it and making sure that we had a point of reference in each picture to facilitate figuring out where it would be once the walls were closed.

Something that we didn't forget because I had seen someone's post talking about doing this themselves is putting small step lights in our master bath, foyer hallway and the hallway between my child's room and the bathroom. They all serve as discreet nightlights. You could even put them on a motion detector, if you're so inclined. We preferred to just get LED step lights and turn them on at night and off in the morning.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz