Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popeda

It's June 2013--how's your build progressing?

popeda
10 years ago

I guess I will start this one off. You may have seen my posts and know the story, moved in incomplete in December with the DH working alone after that. We have since done the interior doors (big celebration when doors were on bathrooms, believe me), all interior trim in a nice craftsman style, finished the stairs from rough framing, and finished the porch columns.

Lately we have completed the backsplash. We used travertine and a big splurge for handmade decos from Marie at Timeless Tile in Albuquerque. We did cabinetry in our DS's upstairs apartment kitchenette and plumbed his sink. The DH finished the porch ceiling with T&G pine in a clear finish. He sided and roofed the pump house for our rainwater collection system and is down to punch-out things like filling nail holes and touching up paint. Actually today he's working on my Mother's Day gift, three antique stained glass windows. One will go over my sink to block the view of our galvalume 20,000 gal. water tank (we love the rain water, but tanks aren't pretty). The other two are waiting on inspiration as to where they go.

Finished is sort of a strong word, but let's just say there aren't any really pressing things about the house to complete.

Fortunately it is too hot now to worry about the landscape. It is a shame when the thistles actually make your place look better, but planting will just have to wait. It's already 96 in the shade out here.

We might have to search our memories: what was it we did before we began getting our house on the market in September 2011, sold, and started to build last July? Must have passed the time somehow....

Comments (12)

• popeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the porch ceiling.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

The rest of June 2013 thread is found here--

Here is a link that might be useful: First June 2013 thread

• popeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't know how I missed the topic. Sorry.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

No worries. Love your porch ceiling!

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

hddana, looking great! I too love your ceiling. We also moved in as soon as we could get temporary occupancy and DH is working away. I thought it would be easier than it has been and I feel bad that I'm usually pointing out what needs to be done...rather than what we have finished since breaking ground last July. AND YEEESSSSS doors on bathrooms are such a celebration!!! We will be beyond thrilled when we have real floors.

I was wondering if you could share a picture of the exterior side of the porch. We need to finish our and it looks as if yours is very similar to ours. We were going to have someone finish it, but looks like it will be another DIY:)

Thank you and congrats on your beautiful home!

• popeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope I got a shot of what you want, mommyto4; I can't get it right posting more than one pic, so see the other messages below.

• popeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the steps from my DH:
    The porch roof ceiling joists ran perpendicular to the porch front, so he put 2x4's nailed to joists in a parallel direction, laid flat, every 18". He put 2 coats of exterior clear finish on the T&G pine then nailed them to the 2x4 boards perpendicular. He used 1x4 trim painted to match the house around the inside perimeter. He got some of the Hardiboard holey soffit board and went to the edge with it, then he put a 1x4 painted white to trim out the rough pine edge. The fascia board is the last white trim you see out there at the gutters. It was already in place.

• popeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more shot, mommyto4.

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

Well, I never thought this day would come. I am actually posting about our progress in building our dream house. We have been busy clearing the site and preparing for the dig to begin. Last week we had 4.5" of rain in two days. I'm really glad we hadn't dug it in yet.
    We managed to locate a custom sawmill who agreed to cut up the red oaks we harvested from our site. We are having them cut into hardwood flooring. Once the sawyer is done we then need to have them trucked to the mill for kiln drying, planning, sanding, and milling. The whole process is supposed to take a little less than 4 months. Our contractor told us he'd never had anyone do this before, but the timeframe was acceptable and he gave us his blessing to continue. Here is the picture of some of the trees on the way to the sawmill... We had a total of 15 logs, all 10.5' long and anywhere from 30" to 16" in diameter. I'm not sure how many board feet we'll have... care to guess????

Here they are on the road. Take my word for it, that is a truckload of hard work right there...

More later... stay tuned.

Saftgeek-

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for pictures and "steps," it helps a lot.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Great progress! Though, we ended up with two June building threads! :)

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

It's FINALLY ramping up after being snarled at the local permit office! Building it on my own, so footing framing starts tonight and hopefully pours next weekend! Yippee for progress!

(I did my own excavation already!)