Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

is it tacky to change color of the windows on side elevations?

bridget helm
10 years ago

Our neighborhood requires aluminum clad windows on the front and side elevations that show from the street. One side of my house will not show at all, so we can put Vinyl windows there. I will be using the clad on some of the back windows because they are in our den.

I want to use a stormy blue color for the clad windows along the front and on the side of the house that will show because our driveway runs down the length of that side.

Will it be strange to have the other side of the house in light tan vinyl? This side is 10 feet from the side of my neighbor's house. The vinyl windows don't come in the blue - only light tan/almond and white.

Comments (10)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

A home should have the same level of finishes all the way around on all sides. That means the same type of windows and grids and the color should be the same.

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

We used vinyl windows in our basement and aluminum clad windows throughout our main floors. Fwiw, I had the vinyl windows painted on the outside to match the aluminum. I would not have made the switch within a level of our house though.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

I'm with live_wire_oak and laurajane2.

But if it turns out you've already decided you're only putting stone or brick on the front too because the neighborhood requires it, and you're going to put vinyl siding on the other sides, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much what you do with the windows.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

"...Will it be strange to have the other side of the house in light tan vinyl?..."

Yes, absolutely. Just as it will look tacky to have one wall finish on the front elevation and different wall finishes on the remaining elevations.

Do the right thing and make all elevations consistent. It will look like you knew what you were doing.

Good luck on your project.

• pps7
    10 years ago

Yes, it's tacky. We have SDL on the front and 2 sides and picture windows in the back. I regret it. We would we would want uninstructed views, SDL looks so much better!

• nini804
    10 years ago

I do not think I would like that. I am not sure I have seen a house with different colored windows.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Thanks everyone. It's not allowed to change wall finishes except at wing changes or whatever that's called. Vinyl siding isn't allowed either.

I thought changing colors was tacky too, but the window guy said that it wasn't and that people do it at the time. In other words, he made me feel crazy for thinking it was tacky. I don't have a problem with the clad in front and on sides that show then switching to the vinyl on those that don't show if they are the same color. If they are the same color, you really don't notice it because you aren't ever looking at the vinyl windows that don't show. I actually didn't think the vinyl windows looked too bad as long as the grill was protruding and not in between the glass. In between glass is not allowed anyway.

How much more is an aluminum clad over a vinyl anyway? Now I need to decide if I should go with all blue aluminum clad Jeldwen siteline or all blue fiberglass clad integrity or light tan clads and some light tan vinyls if they don't show.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Just as it will look tacky to have one wall finish on the front elevation and different wall finishes on the remaining elevations.

It is/was commonly done by architects and builders all over the world. The main approach had the fancy stuff, the sides and back have lesser materials and/or ornamentation.

Look at the pedimented facade of Chatsworth House at the main entrance ... and then the lake side. They are different.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i don't mind changing the wall finish on different wings of houses. some house are so huge that they would look terrible done in ALL brick. many great architects change wall finishes.

my garage wing will be hardi siding with a beaded edge. it's cheaper than brick, but it still looks nice.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Jeldwen? Your still looking at them?