Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowyer123

How Would You Fix This Dormer? Pics

bowyer123
11 years ago

Here are a few pictures of our dormer that we are not real happy with. The windows are to small and there is to much space above them as well. These windows are 5' tall. We want to make this more symmetrical. Since changing the slope of the dormer roof is out of the question, we can either move the windows up a bit, add a taller (6') window or add on a fixed window over both of these existing windows.

We are thinking the best solution would be to replace these 5' windows with 6' windows and move the bottom of each just a little bit. Our builder said this was doable, or he suggested adding a fixed piece of glass over each window, and leaving these in place. To me that idea will look odd and won't go with the existing look of the house.

I'm pretty sure the best solution is to go with the taller window and move them up a bit. My only concern there is making the bottom of the windows to high, thus making it awkward to open from the inside. The builder said once the gutters are in place, this will make them look closer to the top and it wouldn't be as noticeable. He was implying that we could move the bottoms of the (6') windows up just a bit and it will look more balanced.

As a side-note, the boards you see are 8" and the visible amount of each board is 7".

Also, the siding is going to be changed anyway, we don't like the looks of the 'boards' (they are Hardi-Board). We will be adding Hardi-Board shakes of some kind.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks~

Comments (7)