Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

Brickmould by window manufacturer?

mythreesonsnc
13 years ago

Hello all. We are finalizing plan details and one of the details that is confusing to me is the window "brickmould." We are building a stone house with hardiplank gables and my architect has suggested incorporating brickmould from the window manufacturer on the stone parts, and a Williamsburg casing from the window mfg on the other windows. He is suggesting that is would be lower maintenance, and the colors would match nicely. I am not really familiar with how the brickmould / casing from the mfg works. I have my stone picked out, my siding color and my trim color. I have matched my trim color to the cladding color of the windows (so the matching thing likely isn't an issue). I am wondering if this mfg. produced casing and brickmould are used instead of the painted trim on the entire window, or if it is just a portion of it, or how it works? Secondly, I would like for my house to look like a "new old house" and wonder if using this brickmould / cladding from the window manufacturer would be a mistake aesthetically? Has anybody used this? Any pictures out there?

Thanks so much for any help... I am confused!

Comments (5)

• macv
    13 years ago

Every manufacturer offers different trim options and they even vary with the window model selected. So, what are you using?

• mythreesonsnc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are using Windsor windows --- the Pinnacle Clad double hung SDL. They have a Pinnacle brickmould casing for the stone areas, and a Pinnacle Williamsburg casing which would be used on the siding portions. The architect doing the CAD drawings says these are shown in our plans...He says, "the window casings at the front stone faced walls now meet the frieze board. The windows are raised from the 7'8" height to the 8'-0" height so that the windows and interior door heights match as well as the interior casings. With the frieze being the same front and rear, the window casing needs to be the same at least at the head to meet the line of the frieze board. The advantage of the casing provided by the Window Mfg. is that it's aluminum faced and maintenance free and will match the window color." I understand lining the headers up on the interior, but am not sure about this on the outside? Does this look like the right way to do it, and does it make sense for it to be by the window mfg? I am sure you are all wondering why I'm not talking to my architect about it... long story, but I would really appreciate any expertise here! Anyway, here is the front elevation....

Thanks so much!

• macv
    13 years ago

The trim provides low maintenance with traditional detailing. If you're going to that expense I highly recommend adding a PVC sill nosing under the sill so that the jamb trim has something to sit on just like a traditional double-hung window.

Here are the trim elements shown as they will probably be installed:

Here is a link that might be useful: ATW PVC sill nosing

• mythreesonsnc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Macv --- I am unfamiliar with the PVC sill nosing (as I am unfamiliar with the brickmould), though I am glad to hear you use the term "traditional detailing" in relation to the brickmould and Williamsburg casing. Thanks for the link so I can learn more about the sill nosing.

• macv
    13 years ago

I suspect they are expensive but both trim profiles should add a nice touch to the appearance of your house.

Using brick moulding also allows a window to be replaced later without removing masonry cladding.

Here is a link that might be useful: trim photo