Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrf158

Should I have rounded corners in new home?

jrf158
12 years ago

I am about to have David Weekley build my new home. The decisions are endless.

One of the many is rounded corners. I have them in my current home and really do NOT like the look of the baseboards.

Wouldn't normal corners be just a pretty?

Comments (19)

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

I can't find it right now, but I know there are companies that make rounded molding pieces to fit the rounded corners. One that I found will even match your existing molding shape and wood species. I think the double-mitered corners used with rounded corners don't look right.

• xc60
    12 years ago

Do you have the rounded trim pieces that fit the round corners? Those are usually more expensive so most builders finish off the bottom of the round corner just above the trim square to fit for regular cut trim. Like mine:

• jrf158
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your replies.

xc60, your baseboards, wall color and flooring are so beautiful!!!

This is a picture of a column in my home that was built 4 years ago. My son is moving into this home and we are building a new one.

I would never settle for what I am about to show you. If my current home was trimmed out as beautifully as yours, perhaps I would love the rounded corners.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• krycek1984
    12 years ago

Is this more popular in the South?

I have never seen this in Ohio.

• jrf158
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live north of Houston, so I am definitely in the South :)

• worthy
    12 years ago

Personal choice. Here, it was common on homes and apartments built in The 1920'S-'30s. I haven't seen it for years. Naturally, I like it!

But you have to plan for the corners, such as these plastic pre-formed corners that are custom manufactured to match your baseboards.

{{gwi:1455689}}

Photo: ej3inc.

• jrf158
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have never seen those before. They are wonderful!! May I have the link to that product?

• trancegemini_wa
    12 years ago

I have rounded corners in my house and they're just like xc60s where it isn't rounded all the way to the floor or the ceiling so it doesn't affect any moldings at the top or bottom of the walls. I've only ever seen it done this way.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

We have rounded corners and the trim carpenter backcut pieces to fit baseboards. Our ceilings are tall and openings are arched, so nowhere does they meet crown.

We are in the south, but built a summer home in CO and they were rounded there also. So not just a southern thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Stone Cottage

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

This is the crown trim work for rounded corners we've been seeing in our area of NC...

And a shot of rounded corners with wainscoting...

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

This doesn't answer your questions about the baseboards, but... my neighbor has rounded corners and they make it hard for her to switch paint colors from one space to the next (e.g., between the hall and a room off the hall.) There's no clear division for ending one paint color and beginning another like there is with a corner. Just something to consider depending on what you're thinking for colors.

• chispa
    12 years ago

Never saw rounded corners in the northeast. We are now in CA and have a spanish style with rounded corners. We have rounded baseboard trim pieces, but some of the joints are a bit sloppy, which I hope we can spruce up when we repaint the interior in a few months.

I hate the rounded corners for the problems it causes with paint color transition. If I was building a house I would not do rounded corners.

• kats_meow
    12 years ago

I also live in Texas and the rounded corners are common in the new builds, considered an upgrade.

It is true that with rounded corners I've not going to be able to change colors from say the family room to the hall. However, where you have a room that has a door into it (such as a bedroom or bathroom) the rounded corners don't impact your being able to change colors. Since we mostly want to change colors in those types of room we aren't bothered about it.

• worthy
    12 years ago

jrf158May I have the link to that product?

Click the photo credit.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

krycek1984, we live in NE Ohio, and our new house will have the same trim as XC.

• ChalmersAbrams
    12 years ago

I tend to be more traditional I suppose, but I prefer the square corners. If you have little ones, the rounded corners can be a little easier on them, but if I'm going to round out any part of my house, or one we are building, it's probably going to be confined to the archways. That said, it's your house and there are some good suggestions and images on here to go from!

• Brent B
    12 years ago

We have rounded corners and we also have just painted the main floor. The painter just split the corner by painting a straight line down the mold dividing the two areas.(We do not have the rounded baseboards though)
    Our friends have just built a home ($1.2 mill, or so), and they have used molding similar to the rounded corners, but these are flat, so each corner has a flat corner about 1 1/2" wide, with the 1 1/2" baseboard to match.

These types of corners help vacuum hoses pass around easily when pulled.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I, too, live north of Houston. I did straight corners and no texture, and everyone thought I was mad! I love it, though.
    I had rounded corners in my last house, and I loved them because I thought they hid wear and tear better. I think the architectural style of your home makes all the difference and must enter into the conversation.

So, what's the style of your house?