Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with planning exterior siding

Posted by Jen.B.C. (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:25

How do we plan the exterior of our transitional craftsman home? I don't like the idea of mixing the foundation with fake stone and brick, so I am leaning towards just doing brick. Advice on that? If we stick with all brick, we can either do columns with no brick base or with a brick base. We can combine lap siding, shingles, and board and batten, but we can't decide what to put where. I don't like the craftsman windows & thinking either paned completely or no panes. We are considering Monteray Taupe Hardi....or other natural colors. We also need help with the back of the house, which will be visible to other pond neighbors. The builder says just to stick with all Hardiplank (lap board). I think I will have to upload that elevation via a different post. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with planning exterior siding

My contractor did a house that was grey stacked stone on foundation with a high grade grey vinyl on sides with white columns and windows that looked very good. I would like stacked stone on foundation with full stone pillars and some kind of complimenting color of hardy on the house. I'm a fan of simple elegance.

o

Here is the rear elevation. There is going to be another deck with stairs off of the right (looking at the house) and an lot more windows. There will be no doors on the second floor. I am just thinking to maybe do shingles in the peaks (or are they called gables?). Not sure what to do with the garage that shows part of a peak. I do like mixed Hardie products, I just don't know how to do it! The back of the house could be highly visible, depending on how many trees cut in order to have a view of the pond. Thanks!!!

o

That first picture has four different products doesn't it? Brick, stone, lap siding, and shingle siding...

Which 2 do you like the best?

The 2 over one windows look nice but I know nothing about how a Craftsman house should look.

Cute house.

o

Well...I think I am figuring out that craftsman style is now a fad. I have liked that look for 15 years or more & when I drive around new construction, it seems to be taking over. So, I may be keeping the elevations (we have to, pretty much) and changing the look to "classic".

o

Well...I think I am figuring out that craftsman style is now a fad. I have liked that look for 15 years or more & when I drive around new construction, it seems to be taking over. So, I may be keeping the elevations (we have to, pretty much) and changing the look to "classic".

o

It's difficult to find anything about this house that is characteristic of the Craftsman Style other than the oddly proportioned front porch columns which are at odds with the Colonial entry door.

The dominate architectural feature is the repeating end gables with pent roofs forming pediments and boxed cornices which is the most common style of design builders. It's kind of a combination of a Colonial Revival and a 2 story Ranch.

What you are discovering, I think, is that it is not possible to correct the lack of a unifying architectural theme with exterior materials. I suspect this house design was driven by a floor plan and the exterior design was developed from that which IMO is the most common design mistake of design builders.

Find a photo of a house you really like and post it so we can better help you. It would also help to know something about the climate and the surroundings.

o

This is a house that I really like. Yes, the elevations done by the architect were driven by a floor plan, the quirky lot & POA requirements. I thought I wanted a craftsman look, but I really don't now. I just want a classic, clean, crisp look. We can change the door and modify the porch. I am not sure if we can do much about the gables, except changes siding & molding & window types, of course.

o

I would do brick around the foundation and just the stone on the pillars. By the time you put in landscaping you'll not see much of the stone and I don't think it'd be worth it. Plus it looks funny to have brick on part of the foundation and stone on other parts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here