Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

which one would you choose?

abekker
9 years ago

Please help choose master bedroom and bath.

Comments (61)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Where do I start? The garage underneath is driving the size of the master bedroom. There is no red headed step child :) the kids' rooms are approximately all 12 by 15. The window in the toilet closet is almost 5 by 5 that's why I am trying to rework this it's the front of the house. So, I have the following elevation options. Here goes...

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#2 with double right window or triple

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better picture

• bpath
    9 years ago

I still like #2, the one you show above. You would probably leave the pocket door open most of the time, allowing the light into the rest of the bathroom, but not a full "flasher" view because it is offset from the doorway. What kind of window treatment are you considering? I like the one window, not two.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also like the one window exterior set up, that's why I am running into this problem. That window is way too big for a toilet closet and that is why I am considering having the bathroom closet in the front.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also like the one window exterior set up, that's why I am running into this problem. That window is way too big for a toilet closet and that is why I am considering having the bathroom closet in the front.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Is this a home that has been built that your builder can let you walk through or make arrangements for you to see? Perhaps you will like it a little better if you see it in person vs on paper. Honestly, there are drawbacks to #2 as you pointed out but I like it better than #1 and I like the exterior better.

I also noticed that #1 has more closet space than #2. Will #2 have enough closet space for you?

Good luck in your decision.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I am building on my own, so there is no home similar to this one to go see. Thank you for your feedback.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Can you swap tub and toilet in option 2? That would be my preference.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I am building on my own, so there is no home similar to this one to go see. Thank you for your feedback.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Is that a living room on the first floor front with the chimney? Is the kitchen behind it? If this guess is correct and assuming relatively similar views I might prefer #1. But, I would want to lay out the entrance/closet/bath a bit differently. Here would be my reasons/further questions:

I would rather have bath over kitchen and sleep over living. Would there be enough room to do one window in front and two flanking the chimney?

In #1 I like that someone getting ready does not then need to walk back through the bedroom and disturb someone who is still sleeping.

I prefer separate closets as my husband is quite messy.

My youngest is now 5 so I don't feel like every step farther away is a big one. ;-)

It may be that in #2 I just can't get over the way the master takes a bite out of BR2.

All that said, if you were to say that the front faces a busy road, I would take #2 all day long.

Good luck with your decision.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is a dining room behind the living room. The master in #2 doesn't take a bite out of the other room, besides that other room is a guest bedroom. Our two kids will have identical rooms :)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The front of the house is very quiet it's a dead end street. The back of the house is county park, which is also quiet, but the sides of the house are pretty close to the neighbors about 15-20 ft, so that's why I think choosing the 1st plan would have advantages in that respect with being able to open up the curtains.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is a dining room behind the living room. The master in #2 doesn't take a bite out of the other room, besides that other room is a guest bedroom. Our two kids will have identical rooms :)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the latest ones

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And B

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Still neither.

a 5' deep closet doesn't get you much more than a regular reach in

a 6'4" closet will only get you 2 rows of clothes--it is deceptive to have the dashes all the way around in 2 above.

Go back to your original, and consider swapping the toilet/bath location.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you mean the second to last picture posted?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

No. I mean the second picture posted to this thread. June 13th 11:28

• bpath
    9 years ago

I still like the bathroom to the front and bedroom to the back, so much more gracious. And hinge the bedroom door to the hall on the other side, so you don't have to walk around the door when you enter the bedroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer the entrance into the bedroom first, I prefer the shower on a inside wall, and if you want a water closet (not my preference) the door should be outswing or pocket, not in swing for safety reasons.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I think I will go with a pocket door. The plan whith a double door walking right into the bedroom, wouldn't the big window looking into the neighbor bother you (it's on the right side of the house)?

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I actually like the one you posted yesterday at 18:22 quite a bit more than any of them.

I would put a pocket door on the 5 ft WIC and put shallow shelves on the opposite wall and give it to your dh. If he is anything like mine he has tons of shoes, sweaters and vest that can't be hung., etc.

I like the little vestibule/dressing room as you enter the closet/bathroom area. I would put a full length mirror on that wider wall inside that area.

I think a 7 ft bathroom vanity will accomadate 2 sinks better than a 6 ft.

Nice linen closet.

The tub is in front of the window...yes, I know. I live in the middle of nowhere with lots of back privacy where my tub is located over a window and dh still insisted on plantation shutters which we leave closed 90% of the time.

I just like how a tub looks over a nice set of windows.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Perhaps the architect could completely chuck the artificial constraints of the façade in favor of better flow and design, and then see the façade that would result from that. You're trying to redesign boxes within a box, and that is NEVER the way to go about doing a design. Especially new construction that does not yet exist. You're treating the whole thing like a remodel that has a bunch of can'ts associated with it rather than the freedom to do anything!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I am sensing that more are in favor of entering straight into the bedroom. What about the window to the right that is looking at the neighbor? Is itnot a big deal?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I am sensing that more are in favor of entering straight into the bedroom. What about the window to the right that is looking at the neighbor? Is itnot a big deal?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Would that window look at their window? On the one hand, it makes a nice open feeling as you walk in; on the other, you don't want to walk in your room and feel like you're walking into your neighbor's room! On the third hand, since this is your bedroom, would you usually have at least sheers on the window anyway? Or, could you split the windows, and have a nice piece of artwork above the sofa when you walk in?

Will you have both doors open or openable most of the time, or will one door be latched most of the time? If the latter, have the door on top be the usually-operable door.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One door would be latched, I would assume.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you mean the second to last picture posted?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you guys think about this one? The good thing is the big window in the bedroom is facing the quiet backyard, the entrance isn't sraight into the bed, shower is huge. On the negative hubby's closet is a bit tight and the TV would have to be hung off center to the left of the bed. Do people do that or the TV has to go straight across?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you guys think about this one? The good thing is the big window in the bedroom is facing the quiet backyard, the entrance isn't sraight into the bed, shower is huge. On the negative hubby's closet is a bit tight and the TV would have to be hung off center to the left of the bed. Do people do that or the TV has to go straight across?

{{!gwi}}

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

None of these really work well enough to keep. Get rid of the bumpouts that are locking you in and design the space as if they don't exist. You're going about the design process all wrong. Form should follow function, not the reverse. Not that form isn't important. It is. But good form is created when good function is created and the whole design flows properly. This is forced and contrived, and it shows in every one of the variants.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• musicgal
    9 years ago

abekker- I don't see the television line up as being a problem but I am not a fan of TVs in the bedroom, mostly because we've spent most of our working lives on different schedules. We lived for about 7 years without one- and it changed our habits. So, if things work in the room otherwise- I would say that the TV should be the last priority. With technology changing as quickly as it is, we will be able to paint the tv on a wall or ceiling soon.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We haven't had a tv in ours either for 10 years, but I am trying to plan everything including the what if scenarios.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My latest creation. Think this might be the winner?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I can't read it--how deep is that walk in in the upper section? lower section?

Lower, it needs to be 6 feet (6 feet 6 or better, is better) to have hanging on both sides. The upper section is likely not any wider than to allow for a single set of hanging clothes (like what you have drawn).

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

No, that's not an improvement at all. I don't understand your stubborn insistence in keeping a footprint that simply does not work. Rework the exterior and interior together. Or hire a real architect. No architect is producing these nonfunctional iterations.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lower closet is 6'4 the upper portion is 5 wide. GreenDesigns I hired an architect and paid him, so I am stuck and at this point just trying to make best of what I have. We r building on an existing foundation and having a garage in the basement. I am not happy with the architect's work and attitude, but it is what it is.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should probably make the master closet door swing out, would you agree?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

master closet door and water closet (toilet) door need to both swing out.

I do think it is an improvement over your earliest iterations...

If you are working with an existing foundation, is any of what is drawn above cantilevered? And, can you cantilever anything to get a little extra room here or there.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are maxed out in terms of allowed square footage

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will put a pocket door, so that it's there in case anyone needs it , yet not in the way most of the time.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I rather like it. Change the swing of the shower door to the other side so you can reach something, say, a favorite bath-and-shower gel, or your towel, from the tub if needed (nod vice versa) or toss a washcloth out, etc.

Could you add a door from the bathroom into the closet? Just thinking that with a closet that long, two doors would be nice.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I'd try to center the bed on the wall. That and the windows not being evenly spaced on that wall are bothering me. How do they line up on the outside with what you have?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I haven't checked in here in awhile...that bath set up is much much better. Though you will need to obscure the tub window as it is facing the front of the house.

I think you can make the closet work too as you will want some narrower storage for things like shoes and sweaters, and you will probably want some linen storage for the bath. You may want a bench in there too...I use mine all the time for changing shoes and such. I'd suggest a pocket door on the closet as, most likely, it will never get shut.

I agree with kirkhall that the asymmetry in the MBR is a little disturbing, esp with the tray ceiling. If the ceiling were flat, it would be less so, but the tray wants the bed centered underneath...

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also thought about the assymetry issue. I think in this set up I should not do the trey ceiling. My ceilings will be 9 ft on the second floor. I also don't like the 2 windows by the night stands, because they will lock me in with the furniture placement. I think instead of 2 night stand windows I should have 1 by where the armchair is.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also thought about the assymetry issue. I think in this set up I should not do the trey ceiling. My ceilings will be 9 ft on the second floor. I also don't like the 2 windows by the night stands, because they will lock me in with the furniture placement. I think instead of 2 night stand windows I should have 1 by where the armchair is.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia