Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samprat

Review plans for remodel

SamPrat
10 years ago

Read great reviews for plans. Would like to get opinions about ours. We are adding 2 bedrooms. Trying to keep small footprint. We are a casual family with 2 boys 7 and 11.
Downstairs is master bedroom and office/in laws room, upstairs big room with balcony is the kids room ( that can be considered as Master bedroom also, if needed) and guest room. Would love to hear all comments.

Thanks in advance

Comments (3)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

What is new and what is existing? (for example, I might have a kitchen comment, but if you aren't touching the kitchen, I'll keep my mouth shut...)

• SamPrat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Except for the front 3 walls stucco, and the garage door, everything else is new. My kitchen was on the other side, near the front entry but we have moved it across the hall. Have attached the existing photo. Please any comments are welcome.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Okay, then I'll comment on the kitchen.

I find that having a stove in the island isn't the best setup (for safety, nor for convenience of being with family).

Putting it on the island increases your chances of a hot accident by 2 or 4 sides (in your case, probably 2 sides, since your island is long).

But, more socially, less safety, someone will spend a lot more time standing at the sink they they will standing at the oven. I know that I appreciate that my sink ended up on my peninsula (too small a kitchen for an island in my house) because when I am standing, washing dishes/pots/pans from dinner, I can oversee the family room and/or be a part of what is going on in the family room rather than have my back turned to the family room. Similarly with food prep. I prep near the sink, not standing in front of the stove.

And, someone will likely comment that it is near impossible to adequately vent a stove in the middle of a room with a second floor above it.

So, I'd figure out how to get the cooktop off the island, for multiple reasons.

I would also work to get the refrigerator on the end where you'd expect people to come from to get to it without having to walk through your work area (ie, I'd get it closer to the dining area.)

Now, upstairs--
    I think you might find it more efficient to combine the 2 walk in closets for the upstairs bedrooms and reorganize them to be reach ins. They don't appear deep enough to benefit from being walk ins, and I think you'll get more functional storage space using a reach in for each (esp the way the balcony cuts in to the one).

Downstairs, I don't think having 2 doors on the hall/guest bathroom is doing any one any favors. I'd eliminate the bedroom door to bath and just enter the bathroom from the hall.