Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okpokesfan

where do you store...

okpokesfan
10 years ago

I was wondering where and how you store you socks, underwear, shorts, etc. I don't really want them in our bedroom. I'm trying to decide whether to have drawers built in our closet or buy some premade something for them. Thought I might get some opinions on here. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• bdpeck-charlotte
    10 years ago

We chose a closet system with drawers. Easyclosets.com

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

Are you not having dressers in the bedroom? If not, then built-in drawers/baskets in the closet would be nice. When we first moved in to our house we had only one small dresser in the bedroom, so we got two small IKEA cabinets to put in the (reach-in) closets to hold undies, socks and t-shirts. Even though we each have a small dresser now, the little IKEA cabinets are still in use, some six years later.

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would prefer not to have dressers in the bedrooms and have all clothing in the closet.

• User
    10 years ago

We have an easyclosets system w/ drawers and hampers installed in our master closet. LOVE having all of our clothes in one location. (Our previous home was a condo, so we had clothes in the closet, under the bed, in a dresser, and in nightstands.) If you do put all of your clothes in the closet, make sure you add a small chair/stool for sitting while putting on socks! :)

• pps7
    10 years ago

We have drawers in the closet. I did not want a dresser in the bedroom either. I prefer having everything in one spot. It keeps the bedroom tidy.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

We are going to put drawers/baskets in our walk in closet. Dressers seem like a terribly inefficient use of space. Also, our closet is double ended - one end opens into the laundry room, the other end opens into the bedroom. So that will make it easy to deal with laundry - to put all of that stuff away.

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

gladys - we are also doing a laundry room attached to master closet. I am *so* tired of schlepping all the laundry from one end of the house to the other!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

My underwear and pajamas are in built-in drawers in the bathroom.
    When I'm finished with my shower in the morning, my underwear is right there.
    When I'm finished with my shower in the evening, my pjs are right there.
    Very handy.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Yup. That's what I thought. It's just the two of us, but in our old house, the laundry room meant a lot of walking and dodging with laundry. This house also has a double ended bathroom - one end opens into the laundry room, the other end opens into the master bedroom. I *know* that usually master bathrooms are completely private, but this does make it more useful. We don't have children; if future owners have kids, there will be trotting across the house with laundry from their rooms. But you can't have it all in a floor plan.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I used the ELFA closet system from The Container Store and it has options for drawers.

• okpokesfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone use anything besides drawers, such as bins/baskets?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We use dressers in our room....you could always leave space in a walk in closet to put a dresser...

When I was growing up, I had a wide reach-in closet and put the dresser in there anyway.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I do not particularly like having a dresser in the bedroom, but in my current house I have no choice.

In the house we're building, I intend to build a closet big enough that we can include the dresser inside the closet. Of course, I don't particularly like the dresser I own and can't justify buying a nice piece of furniture to place in a closet, so I would not be opposed to a set of built-in wire drawers . . . Or something else similar. I like the idea of having all my clothes in one spot.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

We have the commercial, non do it yourself version of easy closets. They look and function great. We have been very impressed with the quality. We have drawers in both master closets and in one son's closet (no room for dresser in his room because of train table) and they look and function great!

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

We have no dressers in our bedroom, and have a very large master closet, about 12'X12'. We purchased two dressers that are positioned back to back in the center of the room creating a nice "countertop". Love it. We also have a wall of shelves/baskets for clothing and shoes. The only bad thing about having such a large closet is that I tend to keep too much clothing that I previously would send off to goodwill.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

We have built in drawers in the master bath where hubby keeps his things, and I keep my things in my dresser in my bedroom. The flame mahogany dresser is large and beautiful, so I like it and use it. :) And, well...it "feels" more feminine to "me," which I like, also.