Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will birch paneling and bookcases stain dark nicely 4 library?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 10:59

Birch is cheaper than other options for the ceiling, walls, and bookcases. But, does it stain nicely in a dark color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will birch paneling and bookcases stain dark nicely 4 library

Yes, we used birch veneer plywood in our TV equipment niche, pantry and one closet. All are stained dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pantry - last 2 pictures

o

My finish carpenter loves birch and says it stains beautifully. We're putting in several walls of v-groove birch which will be stained a medium walnut color, and our stringers and handrails on the open stairwells are all birch, as well. Heck, I almost got a curly birch wood floor. It's a gorgeous wood, imho.

o

It depends on the skill of the finisher and your expectations.

o

Ditto Renovator. My parents have a beautiful birch library, medium walnut stained. They are perfectionists and worked with the finisher until he got it right. Birch can be blotchy and has to be finished correctly and conditioned well. Theirs is lovely and no blotches at all though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here