Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

master closet shelving--builder's standard or build our own?

Skyangel23
9 years ago

So our builder does the standard single row of wire shelving in the closets. I was thinking of putting the one shelf a bit higher and having the builder add a second shelf below it in one section for added clothes storage. Then I started looking at closet organizers and realized even that isn't the best use of space. Should we not have the builder do anything, take the small credit, and build something ourselves from HD or Container Store? Our closet is 6 x 9 with a window. Budget will be tight but it would be so nice to have everything in the closet and not need a dresser in the bedroom.

Comments (17)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I would build something yourself. Do you happen to have an IKEA nearby? It can be pretty easy to modify some of their stuff to fit.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Hi skyangel-I will pipe up with my experience. :)

The builder one wire shelf/rack is not a great use of space. I'd forego it completely.

We *planned* on doing it ourselves after we moved in. Well there was so much stuff everywhere and still many items on our punch list that we were doing ourselves that it would be too long before we could get to it. So we had it quoted and I thought it was really very reasonable considering. We have much more useful space and they are adjustable which I love. We only did wire hanging on our kids closets but opposite wall they have the white melamine shelving and it's awesome. What a difference it made - seriously.

So - if you have the time and can do it BEFORE you move in I'd go for it. If you don't, I'd have it done.

If you want I can send you a couple pics through email - I don't really want to bare my closet on the internet. lol! Let me know if that would be helpful.

Our master is a walk through - so it connects our laundry and our master bath. I have one side and dh has the other. We fit 4 sections of double hanging, 1 small section of full hanging and 2 sets of shelving (with a few drawers) on my side and 4 sections of double hanging and 1 section of shelving on dh's. I LOVE it. All of my clothes FIT - all seasons! We can add drawers or doors later or reconfigure the shelving as well. They do make it in wood tones but that was more costly and it's a closet for goodness sakes so we stuck with white.

I have roughly 10' on my side (it does include linens as well) and he has a good 5' on his.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We had a closet guy come in after the build was over to do all of our closets at once. It resulted in more creative solutions than just a wire rack.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I second that it is easy to say to yourself, we'll do that...
    But, my closet was unusable for 9months until we actually did it. It was driving me batty. Hire it done, if not your builder.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Hi Autumn- it sounds like our closets will be similar. Would you be willing to share pictures with me? We don't want anything too extravagant, but also want more than what would be standard with our builder. Thanks so much!

• nepool
    9 years ago

I love IKEA closet organization stuff. Can you share which piece from IKEA work well in the walk in closet? I'm assuming you didn't add the full wardrobes to the closets and just used components.

I'm also trying to come up with the best way to tackle the walkins and also my mudroom where I'd like to add lots of shoe storage.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Hi nepool --
    We are planning to use the PAX/Komplement system in our master closet and mudroom. We are having the builder put in the boxes and trim them out and we'll add the rods, drawers, shelves, etc. In our mudroom we will use the 13" deep boxes and the metal shoe shelves. I like that those are easily removable for cleaning and don't have the gaps that let detritus fall into shoes on lower shelves from the soles of those above. We won't be using doors on the units but I like that as an option.
    Autumn -- do check out IKEA if you have one nearby. Though it sounds like the window in your closet might pose a bit of a challenge for standard organizers.
    Good luck!

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

TamaraTom-done.

Kirkhall-yes, I even think batty is an understatement for me. :D

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

We eventually did IKEA in our closet. We did the Algot system--more similar to the elfa system and less expensive than Pax. I didn't feel like I needed wardrobes within a walk in closet. But, a lot of people like that look.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Ha kirkhall -- we are using Pax because we are extremely hard on furniture. My husband has broken the dressers in his closet twice over the past 15 years. The Algot display in our closest IKEA really had seen better days . . . but I'm sure it is great for adults who do not inflict furniture abuse :-)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Algot. It comes in different forms. We got the kind that physically attaches to the wall, not the free-standing. We also got the metal, ventilated (but not wire) shelves, instead of the wood. I like that it locks together. This is a picture of my Daughter's just after it was installed

• LOTO
    9 years ago

We couldn't decide what to do on our closets and looked at Home Depot and Lowes and didn't want the wire stuff. We just assumed that closet storage built by our trim carpenter would be too expensive....we were very wrong on our assumption. Our trim carpenter built us custom wood shelving that utilized all the space in our closets and pantry and the cost was WAY less than the modular systems at Lowes.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Oaktown-we are finished thankfully! I had ikea on the list but he nearest one to us is a good 3 hour drive and we didn't have that kind of time. Ours are open like that system though. Excellent use of space.

• nepool
    9 years ago

Thank you kirk hall for the pics! That's exactly what I'm look for.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

We installed John Lewis Home system in our closets in our last home. Not real cheap, but very nice looking and versatile.

• Jack Kennedy
    9 years ago

we have the elfa systems from container store in every single closet in our house. They are amazing and give us so much flexibility. if you are opposed to the lines that wire shelving leaves, just add shelf liners, there are about a buck and will alleviate that side effect.