Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finethreads

We have started construction!!

We have just started construction of our new home in the Florida Panhandle. Just a few steps from the beach.

Lots are small here so we had to be a little creative in our design to maximize space usage. We designed it to be old age friendly with two masters on the main level. Both main floor baths have no threshold showers with trench drains.

The room over the garage is a studio for our business with lots of heated and cooled storage along the sides. We are pre plumbing this area for another full bath.

House is our main residence, but will rent for 2-3 months during our high (hot) season.

Comments welcome!

Here is the First Floor. Second to follow

This post was edited by finethreads on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:03

Comments (71)

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

We're not in FL any more. After 30 years in the Tampa- St Pete area, we bought rural acreage, and are building our last house (I hope!) in upstate SC.

There are a lot of interesting little towns along Hwy 98. Make sure to pick up some local seafood- shrimp, oysters, scallops, and 'bulldozers' if you find 'em.

• Carlos1031
    9 years ago

Hi, I just saw your post today, I guess I should've kept my eyes open for new postings. I tried to read your floor plans but the resolution is quite low and I wasn't able to read some of the notes. One thing that caught my eye at the start is the bedrooms. I always go through a furnishing plan with my clients and discuss where the beds, TV, dressers, nightstands, etc. will go. Sizes and all that. I also discuss the orientation of the house and how that affects the placement of the windows, as relates to views and sun position. For example to think about how a particular client likes to watch TV in the afternoon but the only wall where a TV will go will receive a lot of glare from the windows facing the west, etc.
    So one concern I have is that there appears to be limitations in terms of furnishing the bedrooms. Do you have a furnishing plan? Have you discussed this with your designer? You probably have and it's all been addressed but it's hard to tell from the low resolution plans. House is looking great!

• Oldbluemountainbeach.com
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Windows, siding and trim are happening

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo of side entry garage. Still can't see the front of the house because of all the trees.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Siding and trim are going up.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is some siding painted with our chosen color, BM Wolf Gray.

This post was edited by finethreads on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 13:29

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo showing our house color Wolf Gray

Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on our progress.

Original Author
    9 years ago

One more photo

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bunkroom bunk beds have been built! Carpenter did some nice work!

• Angie67
    9 years ago

I love the built in bunk beds. Very cool.

Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the neighbor's back yard.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one from the neighbor's house.

• LogBuildDreams
    9 years ago

Love the house colors; they finished off great!! And bunks, wow, if only I could convince the DW and DS we need to head south for the winter!! Wanna come finish building our place while we rent yours??? Huhhuh?

• LE
    9 years ago

I love your house. It looks so friendly, if you know what I mean! Very welcoming.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! So jealous! May I ask what doors did you use for your interior? I have to pick mine and the company I was going to use apparently is awful. Any suggestions would be super appreciated!

Amy

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, thank you for all the compliments on our house!

Amy, we used Timberland styleline Shaker Doors, a Solid MDF Stile and Rale door. Very similar to TruStyle doors at a slightly better price point.

Our specific door description:

The Stileline Shaker doors offer a unique âÂÂOld Homeâ look with clean lines and flat panels. These doors are made from the same high quality MDF as our routed doors, however these Shaker doors are built using traditional stile and rail construction to give them the classic square panel look.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Backyard pool has been dug! Shooting it next week. Sun deck on one end and spa on the other.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the spa.

Original Author
    9 years ago

We moved in about 6 weeks ago! Here's some shots of the kitchen. We are still putting the rest of the house together.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 2

Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 3

Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 5

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Will be posting more pictures soon. Waiting for new furniture. What an adventure!

• mattypies
    9 years ago

Love your Floors!

Oldbluemountainbeach.com thanked mattypies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! The floors are Hickory by Muskoka Flooring.

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    9 years ago

Jack-- can you please post the finished front/rear elevation pictures we are also getting the same Marvin Integrity Bronze windows and are trying to decide the exterior colors and trim colors. it would greatly help. We are also going for the clean, minimal look. Thank you.

Absolutely stunning and beautiful.

Oldbluemountainbeach.com thanked r2d2indy r2d2indy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exterior Photos

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

Original Author
    9 years ago

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    9 years ago

Jack, thank you for all the pic from diff angles, love it.. Beautiful home

Original Author
    8 years ago

Final Photos - Enjoy!

Original Author
    8 years ago

More Final Photos

• prepmom
    8 years ago

So beautiful! Everything is perfect- it looks like a showhouse! It's obvious how much attention you've put into every detail! The pool area is incredible. Love the bunk room!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!!!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Great photos! The house looks wonderful. Love the floors.

• Amber
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beautiful! We're in the Panhandle as well, but not by the beach. A friend of mine has a condo in Destin they rent out June, July, and August and they love it! Do you rem remember what brand solar shades you did?

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    8 years ago

Jack: Very Nice.

Can you tell us where you got your fans and light fixtures, website or details. Thanks in advance.

• mrsfiremangw
    8 years ago

So pretty! Would you mind sharing your last picture and the bunk room wall color?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments! Shades are Kathy Ireland by hunter Douglas. The specific model is Marcella. Thetiltedlouver.com. Great quality and price point.

Fans are all minka and were purchased from destin lighting in destin, fl.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bunk room color is BM gray cloud. Bedroom (last picture) is BM revere pewter.

Original Author
    8 years ago

landscaping and pavers are finally finished. Here are a couple of photos of the front of the house.

Original Author
    8 years ago

All of our house exterior and interior photos in one place:

http://oldbluemountainbeach.com